14 Tahoe FM reception bad after radio upgrade, retrofit antenna to hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fightingmajor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Tahoe. I recently upgraded the headunit to a Kenwood 907s. Everything sounds great, but FM reception is horrible. I'm not interested in satellite radio. I'm not sure why they decided to remove the antenna from the hood and place it on the rear passenger window. Anyway, has anyone retro fit the older style antenna on the hood location to gain back FM reception? I'm sure it's a pain in the ass, but I looked under the hood and the mounting location is there for the antenna.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Tahoe. I recently upgraded the headunit to a Kenwood 907s. Everything sounds great, but FM reception is horrible. I'm not interested in satellite radio. I'm not sure why they decided to remove the antenna from the hood and place it on the rear passenger window. Anyway, has anyone retro fit the older style antenna on the hood location to gain back FM reception? I'm sure it's a pain in the ass, but I looked under the hood and the mounting location is there for the antenna.

Not sure about mounting an antenna up front but perhaps a signal amplifier would be a simpler, less invasive, solution.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the 2014s, but could there be an OE signal booster in place that is not getting power now with the new headunit?

OP
OP
fightingmajor

fightingmajor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the 2014s, but could there be an OE signal booster in place that is not getting power now with the new headunit?

hmm, didn’t know there was a stock signal booster in these. I would think the antenna plug would have been 2 pronged if it was. Nothing indicated there was when installing it. I ordered a couple of GM antennas that seem to be long enough to reach the radio from the Mount under the hood. Going to give that a try and bypass the window antenna completely.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
hmm, didn’t know there was a stock signal booster in these. I would think the antenna plug would have been 2 pronged if it was. Nothing indicated there was when installing it. I ordered a couple of GM antennas that seem to be long enough to reach the radio from the Mount under the hood. Going to give that a try and bypass the window antenna completely.

Let us know how it goes, and Don't forget the pics.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Well, I'm not sure if there is an OE signal booster in yours, but I've seen a few other brands with rear antennas that came with an amplifier.

OP
OP
fightingmajor

fightingmajor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Spent the day trying to find the same place the wire goes in on previous models and I’m unable to locate it. I took the radio back out and swap the antenna adapter for the Kenwood. The radio has HD radio built in. If I set it to auto it switched back from analog to digital constantly. If I switch it to digital only, it takes about 5 secs maybe to lock in on the station and then it never fades. It I switch it to analog, it locks on the station instantly and doesn’t fade, it’s just not in HD. Seems to be more of an issue with how long it takes for the Kenwood to lock on to the HD radio signal which I have experienced with other Kenwood units. I’m just gonna leave it on digital and put up with the delay when I switch stations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne