A North to South Tahoe Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

ClemsonHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The past two weeks have consisted of new keys and new coils out back, Bilstein 5100's in front, 5160's in the rear, and as of this weekend: plasti dipped black hummer h3 rims (love them) and some 295/75/R16 General Grabber AT2's. Finally starting to feel like a Tahoe should. Pics to follow shortly.

OP
OP
C

ClemsonHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well nearly seven months have gone by, if that doesn't call for an update, nothing does. It seems I never uploaded pictures of the new wheel/tire combo. So I'll have to post those. Brief aside, the new tires are obviously wider than stock, so they had some major rub issues, especially with the H3 Rims having 5" of Backspacing, So around Christmas time I picked up 2 inch wheel spacers for all four corners, makes life MUCH better, and now I can flex more than two inches without jamming tire into plastic, but I still ended up doing that because I disconnected swaybars when going offroad and that ended up into destroyed wheel-wells front and rear pretty much.

On a modding note, I finally rigged up resistors to make the annoying "Service Air Ride" message go away on the dash, being that i chucked the auto ride crap in favor of bilsteins last year. That was an easy fix. Total Cost, 8 bucks.
Then I decided that I wanted to be able to hear music when I was out of the car, so that led to putting an 800W amp under the center console and running leads to two 6 1/2" Wakeboard tower speakers that I hooked up on the sides of the roof rack.

Other than that, it's mostly just a damage report from multiple wheeling trips.
The fall trips I was mostly unscathed aside from scratches all up and down the body, and obviously destroying wheel-well plastic. The Spring trips took a heavier toll, but nothing irreplaceable. Bent one tie-rod, destroyed one of the Trail Can's speaker grill, and trashed the passenger side of my front bumper (will require cutting, re-welding, and then some major gusseting that should have happened the first time I did this.)

Finally, being a Tahoe that spent its first 12 years dealing with snow and road salt in New Jersey, It had developed a nice rust patch on the rear drivers side flare. So i ended up cutting a 5 1/2" by 2" section out of the flare, and welding a patch in, currently just primered black, but I have color matched paint here waiting to go on.

Attachments

• IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
C

ClemsonHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, my CB antennae had been stolen at some point last semester, so I finally got around to getting another one last week, and I decided to change the mounting location. It was previously on the Rear bumper, but I moved it so that it now comes out of the driver side vent appliques.

Oh, and I'll never use plasti dip on my rims again. Loved it for the first few months when they saw no action, the second they got dirty offroad, never shall they be a deep black again, impossible to clean. Also they got some pretty nasty rock rash, but I can't hold that against it not being paint, that would happen no matter what.

I keep remembering different things that I've done, I also tore out the carpet from the Cargo area. It was ratty and nasty from 13 years of abuse. I'll be putting a weather tech rubber mat back there before the summer starts. I also tore out the subwoofer box and jack stuff from the driver side, It is now totally barren, I have to decide if I want to do a stealth box for a subwoofer, or if I want to do pull out storage boxes.

Attachments

• IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1773.jpg
    IMG_1773.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
C

ClemsonHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Completed SAS

Got sick and tired of not being able to keep up with the Jeep crowd offroad. IFS just wasn't going to cut it. Clearly wasn't going to sell my Tahoe, oh no, I only wheel in luxury. :jester:
SO, this happened. Dana 60 HP out of an 02' SuperDuty. Three link under 14" Kings. 35" Cooper STT Pro's.
241 TC swap to come soon to regain 4x4. Wheeling trip the 18th to test her out.

Attachments

• 20150829_144923.jpg
    20150829_144923.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
C

ClemsonHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sneak Preview on Flex.

Attachments

• 20150809_163539.jpg
    20150809_163539.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 17

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ohhh I have some questions for you! How did you do the Coils? Been looking at a lot of build threads of Coiled SAS with no luck. I want to run Coils instead of a leaf sprung since I see it All the time. do you have pics of the build up and specs?