12V Outlet Power cycle when driver's door is opened

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcorbit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2021 GMC Yukon Denali with an issue that the dealership is unable to resolve.
I have an accessory plugged into the center console, 12V outlet. The outlet power cycles, when the driver's side door is opened, which requires me to manually restart my plugged in accessory (which is annoying). This happens, when the vehicle is running, so should be un-related to the power-off delay. It only appears to occur with the drivers side door, not any of the passenger doors. I have automatic running boards, which deploy at the same time, and can hear a relay clicking beneath the center console armrest at the same time the power goes out (related?).

The dealership tech informed me that this is a "safety feature", and that nothing is wrong with the vehicle, however, my gut tells me that they are wrong.

Anyone have a similar experience? Does anyone know if a process exists to escalate this issue to GM, directly (in case the dealership is wrong)?

TIA

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh. I think I’ve got this same issue on my Denali. I’ve got a Valentine V1 radar detector plugged in to that outlet and it will power off and back on when the door is opened. Now that I think about it, I’m not sure if it’s off with the door open and back on when closed or if it cycles through start-up with the door open. I’ll report back with my findings.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue with my V1 gen2. Weird thing is if I open door and it turns off,then passenger opens door it will turn on. Sometimes with both doors shut it won't turn back on until I press the button on the V1.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the way they started making these since the k2 is the system wakes when the drivers door is opened I can only imagine that they have expanded on that, you may want to consider hard wiring into a different power source like the passenger airbag light.
there is possibility of it maybe being a fuse option? on the k2's there is a fuse to move position in the inside dash fuse panel to provide constant power to the accessory socket so it remains powered when the vehicle is shut off.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I initially wired into the overhead fuse for home link. Don't do that lol, crap went wonky. I have the power magic for Blackvue wired in currently on the same fuse as the V1 but it doesn't have issues. I'll check in the morning which one I am currently using. I went through the wiring diagram a few times and could not identify the fuse you used to be able to swap for retained power.

Jared Drexler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2021 GMC Yukon Denali with an issue that the dealership is unable to resolve.
I have an accessory plugged into the center console, 12V outlet. The outlet power cycles, when the driver's side door is opened, which requires me to manually restart my plugged in accessory (which is annoying). This happens, when the vehicle is running, so should be un-related to the power-off delay. It only appears to occur with the drivers side door, not any of the passenger doors. I have automatic running boards, which deploy at the same time, and can hear a relay clicking beneath the center console armrest at the same time the power goes out (related?).

The dealership tech informed me that this is a "safety feature", and that nothing is wrong with the vehicle, however, my gut tells me that they are wrong.

Anyone have a similar experience? Does anyone know if a process exists to escalate this issue to GM, directly (in case the dealership is wrong)?

TIA
Same issue with my 2021 caddy ct5. dealership says its designed that way.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I played around with this today. I was using F26(USB/SEO RAP) and F14(RT DR PNL) with the Power Magic. The V1 and the dashcam get power from the Power Magic. I switched to using just F14 and no issues so far.

justdanorm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

TIA
Did you ever get a resolution to this? I've had it at the dealership multiple times now and they can't figure it out either.

JoshC84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did anyone find a way around this. It's really annoying having everything plugged in reset every time I close the driver's door.

EMTPete

Reaction score
I am also having this issue with my 2021 Yukon Denali. My dashcsm doesn’t like this at all. I’ll probably just end up getting a hardwire kit for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st