12's with seperate amps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sschrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I have two Alpine Type-S 12's in a ported box with an Alpine M-850 (mono) amp running them. Not sure what ohm or anything the subs are, obviously the Type-S's aren't the best subs in the world.

My question, does anyone run an amp for each sub? I want to upgrade my subs and have a chance to buy a newer kicker amp for pretty cheap.

Any advice on running each sub off separate amps?

Anthony

2004 Tahoe LT (MA)
Reaction score
I have that set-up with Two Alpine Type R 12s and a Alpine Mono Amp on each:
picture.jpg
picture.jpg

It hits hard and I really like it

OP
OP
S

sschrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, did you run one set of RCA's and one power cable?

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, did you run one set of RCA's and one power cable?

you can run a pair of rca's to the first amp, then there should be an rca out of that first amp and you run a short set of rca's from the first to the second amp. and for power wire wise if you have rear batteries you can just run 2 power wires off that or use a distribution block that splits the power wire from the front into 2

sloblack00

Reaction score
yes, you can run 2 different amps, but i wouldnt recommend it though, if you wanted to do it right, then you would want to run the same amp/speaker combo on both.
i have 4 15's ran off 2 atomic 7000.1D monoblocks, i thought about running 4 amps, but when there are monsters out there why run more than you have to, takes up too much space, and too much wiring..however it gets tricky when you want to go that large with a stereo system, running multiple altenators and batteries.

we are designing a wall build right now, but heres what it looks like temporarly from the rear hatch.

2q0qemx.jpg

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I have two Alpine Type-S 12's in a ported box with an Alpine M-850 (mono) amp running them. Not sure what ohm or anything the subs are, obviously the Type-S's aren't the best subs in the world.

My question, does anyone run an amp for each sub? I want to upgrade my subs and have a chance to buy a newer kicker amp for pretty cheap.

Any advice on running each sub off separate amps?

well then you would run the Kicker, not the alpine amp.

the only way you would run two amps would be identical amps and subs, in a seperately chambered box. Easier to just get an amp twice as powerful...

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, or get one you can strap later, but then you possibly change final impedance.

OP
OP
S

sschrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it, thanks for the advice!! I love a really nice sounding system, just don't know exactly how to get it that way. So thanks!