10L80 - filled transmission at wrong temp???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do, that absolutely is clear.

I've asked them to send me the error codes they said they were seeing, as well as any graph outputs that would aid me in making a decision.

I also got a second opinion, and to change those two components, the cost was almost equal between the dealer and this other shop, which is apparently highly reputable. $5k is the amount.

FWIW, a new transmission is $13k, from the dealer. The transmission shop I spoke to that gave me the second opinion, stated that it's difficult if not impossible for THEM to do a rebuild because they just don't have the experience with it.
WOW! That is ridiculously expensive. I see your point now. The automakers have been working hard for years to fine tune the "bending over a barrel" process......it seems that with the current newer generations it is starting to be accomplished. I'll stick with slightly older stuff with a 6 speed. I'm stuck with an 8 speed too, but thankfully it has been quite robust.

Best of luck buddy.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do, that absolutely is clear.

I've asked them to send me the error codes they said they were seeing, as well as any graph outputs that would aid me in making a decision.

I also got a second opinion, and to change those two components, the cost was almost equal between the dealer and this other shop, which is apparently highly reputable. $5k is the amount.

FWIW, a new transmission is $13k, from the dealer. The transmission shop I spoke to that gave me the second opinion, stated that it's difficult if not impossible for THEM to do a rebuild because they just don't have the experience with it.
Wow...well, they don't call it the stealership for nothing...Too bad you're not in Vegas otherwise I'd offer to overhaul your transmission for cost of parts just so I can learn them and put videos on my channel...I'd go through the entire valve body diagnosis procedure mentioned above then tear down / inspect the case so we know if there's any damage or wear to soft parts and to what extent, etc...

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...well, they don't call it the stealership for nothing...Too bad you're not in Vegas otherwise I'd offer to overhaul your transmission for cost of parts just so I can learn them and put videos on my channel...I'd go through the entire valve body diagnosis procedure mentioned above then tear down / inspect the case so we know if there's any damage or wear to soft parts and to what extent, etc...
Do I see a road trip in your future

Reactions:jyi786

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a very, very kind offer! Though I'm not sure how I'd do such a thing, unless I ship my truck to you. I can't afford to take a road trip at the moment, and am currently without a vehicle. Truly stuck in a pickle, so to speak. :(

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I found another very reputable transmission shop in the area. I actually spoke directly to the tech who does the transmission rebuilds. He imparted ALL the same knowledge that @NickTransmissions did, which was surprising. The unfortunate thing is that the cost of rebuilding the transmission, he said, is $11k, but that is an extreme last resort, and he would not recommend it unless his diagnostics show that it was required.

I'm going to take my truck away from the dealer, drop it off with him, and have him do a proper diagnosis. Again, fun thing is how he stated he would do diagnose the issue, valve body included, was exactly the same as @NickTransmissions said he would.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I found another very reputable transmission shop in the area. I actually spoke directly to the tech who does the transmission rebuilds. He imparted ALL the same knowledge that @NickTransmissions did, which was surprising. The unfortunate thing is that the cost of rebuilding the transmission, he said, is $11k, but that is an extreme last resort, and he would not recommend it unless his diagnostics show that it was required.

I'm going to take my truck away from the dealer, drop it off with him, and have him do a proper diagnosis. Again, fun thing is how he stated he would do diagnose the issue, valve body included, was exactly the same as @NickTransmissions said he would.
Outstanding! Definitely pays to shop around....

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot some more info. We spent some time and talked rebuild. He stated that if we were to do a rebuild, he would rebuild with UPGRADED AND HARDENED PARTS, so even if I were to go with a new transmission from the dealer, I'd be back at this point no matter what again. I thought that in and of itself was worth it.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$11,000 for a trans rebuild. God help us.
Tell me about it. This inflation crap is seriously getting out of hand.

It was very very refreshing to talk to an actual, knowledgeable person. We'll see exactly how this plays out. The tech said he should be able to give me a definitive diagnostic in no more than 2 days tops.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it. This inflation crap is seriously getting out of hand.

It was very very refreshing to talk to an actual, knowledgeable person. We'll see exactly how this plays out. The tech said he should be able to give me a definitive diagnostic in no more than 2 days tops.
About 1/5-1/6 the median US salary just for a transmission rebuild. How much does a quality OEM or better rebuild kit cost? And how long to rebuild? Sure, pay the tech $200 an hour. How does that add up to $11,000? The local Chevrolet dealership hourly shop rate is $179.95.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667