10L80 - filled transmission at wrong temp???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just paid for a subscription to Alldata DIY...and I think I might have made a pretty bad mistake.

When I did a transmission fluid change a few months ago on my 2019 Cadillac Escalade ESV with the 10L80 MF6 transmission, I used instructions for the 10L80 which called for checking transmission fluid at between 75-80C (167-176F). However, Alldata says to check it at between 95-100C (203-212F). Which means my trans was probably overfilled....

How badly did I screw up? :( I'm having issues, getting a very odd vibration/shimmy when feathering the throttle when the torque converter goes into lockup. Vibrates the entire truck like mad until I either mash the throttle forcing an upshift, or take my foot off the throttle.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally, the Alldata says to use the checkplug for checking the fluid level. Is there a reason why even though it should be overfilled, nothing comes out of the check tube at the bottom? It does, however, when I remove the other fill side cap at the upper rear left of the transmission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you dropped the pan and replaced the filter? Are you using the correct fluid for your transmission as well? The 10 speed does not use the same fluid as the 6 speed as far as I am aware, and I'm not sure how the 8 speed relates. I have read about a "revised" fluid to ease or eliminate shuddering but that may only apply to the 8 speed transmissions - once again I am no expert, only an avid reader and automotive enthusiast. I also inspect carnage for submitted warranty claims in my area.

I was under the impression that the majority of torque converter failures were 2015-2016 model years (2014 for the trucks, too, maybe?) but then I've talked to various technicians and have read a variety of forum posts that say even with the "revised" torque converter that the clutch packs are still far too weak. I also don't know if your 10 speed uses the same torque converter as the 8 and 6 speed transmissions as well.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you dropped the pan and replaced the filter? Are you using the correct fluid for your transmission as well? The 10 speed does not use the same fluid as the 6 speed as far as I am aware, and I'm not sure how the 8 speed relates. I have read about a "revised" fluid to ease or eliminate shuddering but that may only apply to the 8 speed transmissions - once again I am no expert, only an avid reader and automotive enthusiast. I also inspect carnage for submitted warranty claims in my area.

I was under the impression that the majority of torque converter failures were 2015-2016 model years (2014 for the trucks, too, maybe?) but then I've talked to various technicians and have read a variety of forum posts that say even with the "revised" torque converter that the clutch packs are still far too weak. I also don't know if your 10 speed uses the same torque converter as the 8 and 6 speed transmissions as well.
Yep. In my thread from a few months back, I detailed all of it. In short, I dropped the pan, changed the filter, inspected the magnet, refilled, and then transfused with brand new fluid.

For fluid, I'm using exactly what my manual calls for: AC Delco ULV ATF P/N: 10-4107 (19352619).

The ONLY thing I can possibly think of is that I underfilled it. No fluid comes out of the check plug when I open it, even with the transmission at 176F.

I bought 20qts more, and will do a complete transfusion again this weekend. Since I already have a pump, I also bought the little adapter that hooks up to the check plug port so that I can fill it from there without having to open the case plug, since I do not think that is the right way to do it. Alldata says to use the check plug port. I'll overfill and then let it drain, and at the proper temperature this time (203-212F).

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. In my thread from a few months back, I detailed all of it. In short, I dropped the pan, changed the filter, inspected the magnet, refilled, and then transfused with brand new fluid.

For fluid, I'm using exactly what my manual calls for: AC Delco ULV ATF P/N: 10-4107 (19352619).

The ONLY thing I can possibly think of is that I underfilled it. No fluid comes out of the check plug when I open it, even with the transmission at 176F.

I bought 20qts more, and will do a complete transfusion again this weekend. Since I already have a pump, I also bought the little adapter that hooks up to the check plug port so that I can fill it from there without having to open the case plug, since I do not think that is the right way to do it. Alldata says to use the check plug port. I'll overfill and then let it drain, and at the proper temperature this time (203-212F).
It's not full if the temp is 176 and nothing comes out. Granted, nothing should come gushing out, but I would expect a dribble or 2. Try adding some fluid, drive it and then pull the plug on a level surface with the engine running. Is that how you initially did it?

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not full if the temp is 176 and nothing comes out. Granted, nothing should come gushing out, but I would expect a dribble or 2. Try adding some fluid, drive it and then pull the plug on a level surface with the engine running. Is that how you initially did it?
Nothing came out. A drip maybe? But not what the manual states, which should be steady drips (not a stream).

When I did this the first time, I was on a level surface, with the engine running. I suspect it's not filled properly because I used the case plug hole, which from my research now indicates that it's below the top of the fill standpipe.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I concur.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a plug on the passenger side behind the heat shield. It's where a dipstick WOULD go if they weren't so cheap. At least on the 8 speed it's that way and from my friend at GM, that's the driftni got in casual conversation.

Remove the heat shield and feel around for a rubber plug towards the front of the trans. Or use a mirror and a light. Maybe the 10 speed is different, but that is the info I know. Hope it helps, props for tackling it on your own!

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a plug on the passenger side behind the heat shield. It's where a dipstick WOULD go if they weren't so cheap. At least on the 8 speed it's that way and from my friend at GM, that's the driftni got in casual conversation.

Remove the heat shield and feel around for a rubber plug towards the front of the trans. Or use a mirror and a light. Maybe the 10 speed is different, but that is the info I know. Hope it helps, props for tackling it on your own!
The 10 speed is different. It's a case plug with an Allen head. It is indeed behind the heatshield. That's what I used to drain (with my pump) and then refill. Again, I'm certain now that it's not as high as the standpipe, so I suspect the transmission isn't properly filled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660