09 tahoe stalls after getting gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timdenn180

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2009 tahoe has code p0443 and has a hard time starting after getting gas. Also if I take the gas cap off while truck is running the truck will stall. Replaced evap purge located in the engine bay still having the same issue. Tahoe runs and drives fine other than that. Any help would be great

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2009 tahoe has code p0443 and has a hard time starting after getting gas. Also if I take the gas cap off while truck is running the truck will stall. Replaced evap purge located in the engine bay still having the same issue. Tahoe runs and drives fine other than that. Any help would be great
Did you use a GM part? Aftermarket parts don't play nice with the computer system.

If you are certain that the purge valve and wiring is good, the problem probably lies with your ECM.

You really need a bi-directional scan tool and access to the shop manual trouble shooting guide to properly solve this. Tech-2 and ALLDATADIY.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if the line to the purge valve is clogged with charcoal pellets, this may have also caused the code and stalling. Blow out the line with compressed air and you'll probably have to replace the charcoal canister.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you fill up, disconnect the evap line at the throttle body, (I believe that's where it's at), and make sure you place the line away from the nipple.

Then reconnect after fill up and see if it starts.

If this is the case, you are theoretically flooding the engine with fuel vapor creating a rich condition and will take a while to clear and start the engine.

OP
OP
T

Timdenn180

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you use a GM part? Aftermarket parts don't play nice with the computer system.

If you are certain that the purge valve and wiring is good, the problem probably lies with your ECM.

You really need a bi-directional scan tool and access to the shop manual trouble shooting guide to properly solve this. Tech-2 and ALLDATADIY.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if the line to the purge valve is clogged with charcoal pellets, this may have also caused the code and stalling. Blow out the line with compressed air and you'll probably have to replace the charcoal canister.
Can you walk me through how I would blow out the line with compressor? Just remove line from purge aolanoid and from canister and blow it out ???

OP
OP
T

Timdenn180

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Before you fill up, disconnect the evap line at the throttle body, (I believe that's where it's at), and make sure you place the line away from the nipple.

Then reconnect after fill up and see if it starts.

If this is the case, you are theoretically flooding the engine with fuel vapor creating a rich condition and will take a while to clear and start the engine.
I’ve replaced the vent valve also now and it seems to be starting fine after fueling but I’m still getting the p0443 code only other problem is pump shuts off many time when trying to pump gas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2