'08 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irishrob82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright i need everyone's help/professional opinion.

My '08 Tahoe is acting up... (I think it knows I've been contemplating doing a replacement motor) When starting up the truck before going anywhere, there is a tick coming from the drivers side under the hood. I believe its a lifter but I'm NOT 100% positive. This tick has been going on for a while and I just haven't had the chance to look into it. Its not affecting the performance of the truck by any means hence the reason for me putting off having it looked at. Last Friday, I noticed my oil pressure gauge only hovering above 0 at idle but is up around 40 while driving. was around 30 all day Saturday while out running errands. Come Sunday evening on my way home from a day full of fun, NOT. The pressure stayed just above 0 even while driving. I replaced the sending unit and screen early this morning. NOW the pressure is the same but the check engine light popped on and the pressure is bouncing all over the place but never going above 30.

Could it be the oil pump? I have it going in to get looked at tomorrow.

What is everyone's suggestion on spending the money on replacing the oil pump? I know it is a labor intensive job to do. The truck has 232,000 miles on it and rides like it just came off the showroom floor. It was my fathers and I don't really want to let her go. But if I'm just opening up a can of worms that's just gonna drain me financially then I need to let her go.

I just don't know what to do.

Suggestions, comments, concerns are all welcome.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright i need everyone's help/professional opinion.

My '08 Tahoe is acting up... (I think it knows I've been contemplating doing a replacement motor) When starting up the truck before going anywhere, there is a tick coming from the drivers side under the hood. I believe its a lifter but I'm NOT 100% positive. This tick has been going on for a while and I just haven't had the chance to look into it. Its not affecting the performance of the truck by any means hence the reason for me putting off having it looked at. Last Friday, I noticed my oil pressure gauge only hovering above 0 at idle but is up around 40 while driving. was around 30 all day Saturday while out running errands. Come Sunday evening on my way home from a day full of fun, NOT. The pressure stayed just above 0 even while driving. I replaced the sending unit and screen early this morning. NOW the pressure is the same but the check engine light popped on and the pressure is bouncing all over the place but never going above 30.

Could it be the oil pump? I have it going in to get looked at tomorrow.

What is everyone's suggestion on spending the money on replacing the oil pump? I know it is a labor intensive job to do. The truck has 232,000 miles on it and rides like it just came off the showroom floor. It was my fathers and I don't really want to let her go. But if I'm just opening up a can of worms that's just gonna drain me financially then I need to let her go.

I just don't know what to do.

Suggestions, comments, concerns are all welcome.
It's worth fixing Bob. Drop two more quarts of oil into the motor and see if the oil pressure settles down. If it does, it is the o-ring. If it does not, it may be the oil pump.

The tick could also be an exhaust leak. I had a tick once that I swore was a bearing but it was an exhaust leak at the flange as it had warped when oil was spilled on it.

What codes are coming up?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is just a light tick I wouldn't give it any concern because it could be normal/not critical. You would know if the tick becomes a tap or knock then you should pay more attention to it.

First thing I would do is read the check engine light. Depending on what the error code is I would install the old oil pressure sensor and give it an oil change before throwing any additional money at it.

You said that the oil gauge used to reach 40psi while driving so that clues me that things are probably working fine mechanically.

OP
OP
I

irishrob82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did an oil change 2 weeks ago. Just changed the sensor today. I will have to add a quart of oil to bring up the level to test the o-ring possibility. Only code that comes up is the code for low oil pressure

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the problem worsened when replacing the sensor I would put the old one back in, these days sometimes the new parts can be not very good.

Did your concern start before or after your last oil change?

OP
OP
I

irishrob82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Issue started before the oil change. Had the mechanic look at it and told me it was the pressure sensor/switch. So of course I figure the screen would’ve been replaced too. It was but when I pulled it today it was kinda plugged. Nothing horrible.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the problem worsened when replacing the sensor I would put the old one back in, these days sometimes the new parts can be not very good.
Good point there, I read about that somewhere. And also regarding what brand. Here is another thread to check out for you @irishrob82 .

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this sound stupid? Remove the oil pressure sensor and the screen and then start the Tahoe to eject any gunk that might be living under the oil pressure sensor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts