07 Yukon oil change discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nbkc15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently bought a07 Yukon Denali with the 6.2, has 250k miles so it’s not new by any means lol. Runs and shifts great though. Now I’ll be honest, I’m no mechanic. I know how to do the basics but that’s about it. I was changing the oil today and went to change the filter when I noticed this hole behind the filter. Now I would assume these teeth shouldn’t be exposed like this but I honestly have no idea what I’m looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9746.jpeg
    IMG_9746.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9744.jpeg
    IMG_9744.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9742.jpeg
    IMG_9742.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 13

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a07 Yukon Denali with the 6.2, has 250k miles so it’s not new by any means lol. Runs and shifts great though. Now I’ll be honest, I’m no mechanic. I know how to do the basics but that’s about it. I was changing the oil today and went to change the filter when I noticed this hole behind the filter. Now I would assume these teeth shouldn’t be exposed like this but I honestly have no idea what I’m looking at. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
That is an inspection hole. The thing with the teeth is your flex plate. It’s just missing the cap.
GM Genuine Parts 24205900 Transmission Bell Housing Inspection Cover (62 mm) https://a.co/d/ec3ixRn

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nbkc15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is an inspection hole. The thing with the teeth is your flex plate. It’s just missing the cap.
Thank you so much. I’ll see if I can’t find another cap at the auto parts store. I was concerned because I noticed there was no fluid in there and didn’t know if that was something they should be lubricated haha. Sorry if it was a dumb question. Thanks again.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I’ll see if I can’t find another cap at the auto parts store. I was concerned because I noticed there was no fluid in there and didn’t know if that was something they should be lubricated haha. Sorry if it was a dumb question. Thanks again.
Not a dumb question. Like the quote in my signature says, “Ask the stupid question so you don’t need to fix a stupid mistake.”

GM Genuine Parts 24205900 Transmission Bell Housing Inspection Cover (62 mm) https://a.co/d/ec3ixRn

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking there should possibly have fluid in there really would qualify as one dumb question. I'm sorry but I couldn't resist that one! I laughed out loud reading that. I hope you learn a lot about automotive repair and how things work. Really. We all want more guys to work on their own vehicles. It's a lost art. Buy yourself a Service Manual and start reading. Watch YouTube videos and please, keep asking questions on this forum.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ask anything you need here. We are here to help.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does look a little oily. Hopefully it is the oil cooler block off plate above your oil filter.
A new gasket fixed it for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667