07 Suburban rough idle P0304 code afm delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smokymtn65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i thought I would start my own thread here. Hopefully for some help to figure out what is going on. As title says Did a delete, using a BTR stage 2 truck cam. And it has been tuned. I have a rough idle and will throw code P0304 after time, Today I drove it in to work 50 miles no code had a bit of rough idle when started but not bad. I stopped for gas and it was more rough after restart. a mile later the stabil-a-trac lit up and then had a pending P0304. one more mile to work and idle was pretty rough and it smells like it's running rich.. I did have and issue after the cam install, my young helper apparently drooped a intake bolt in the intake runner of cylinder 4 head. so it lodged enough it went partially through and the intake valve got bent. I replaced the valve they were very little visible damage the head or piston I seated the valve using compound and mating surfaces were looking good. The compression check afterward was 150 on 4 and 150 on 2 I do not go further since they were so close. I have moved all components from 4 to 2 one at a time to eliminate injector, coil, plug wire, and plug, The computer is triggering to injector by test light in ground side. I used a spark checker and it lights from the coil. All ideas and help Appreciated!! I also has a hot hard start issue after sitting for 20 minutes it will take 2 cranks sometimes to start and smells like raw fuel. Thanks @kbuskill for your input so far. And @randeez as well

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So i thought I would start my own thread here. Hopefully for some help to figure out what is going on. As title says Did a delete, using a BTR stage 2 truck cam. And it has been tuned. I have a rough idle and will throw code P0304 after time, Today I drove it in to work 50 miles no code had a bit of rough idle when started but not bad. I stopped for gas and it was more rough after restart. a mile later the stabil-a-trac lit up and then had a pending P0304. one more mile to work and idle was pretty rough and it smells like it's running rich.. I did have and issue after the cam install, my young helper apparently drooped a intake bolt in the intake runner of cylinder 4 head. so it lodged enough it went partially through and the intake valve got bent. I replaced the valve they were very little visible damage the head or piston I seated the valve using compound and mating surfaces were looking good. The compression check afterward was 150 on 4 and 150 on 2 I do not go further since they were so close. I have moved all components from 4 to 2 one at a time to eliminate injector, coil, plug wire, and plug, The computer is triggering to injector by test light in ground side. I used a spark checker and it lights from the coil. All ideas and help Appreciated!! I also has a hot hard start issue after sitting for 20 minutes it will take 2 cranks sometimes to start and smells like raw fuel. Thanks @kbuskill for your input so far. And @randeez as well

Did you happen to check the constant power side of the injector to make sure it is getting power?

I only ask because you specifically mentioned the triggered ground side which means you could have had your test light hooked to the positive terminal of the battery while checking.

OP
OP
smokymtn65

smokymtn65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I check it as well, It was steady on with key on. Thanks need all the help I can get LOL

OP
OP
smokymtn65

smokymtn65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An update after sitting for 3 hours I started it up and let it idle for a a few minutes the pending p0304 went away and was replaced with a P0300 so guess I will just have to start checking all cylinders.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the fuel pressure at idle on the fuel rail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smokymtn65

smokymtn65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the fuel pressure at idle on the fuel rail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had when I was dealing with hard start a little before I pulled right head, it was 51psi on my HF gauge. I do need to check again. THX

kbuskill

Reaction score
I checked it again last night 59psi steady at idle.

Is this a flex fuel truck?

59 psi is pretty high for a flex fuel engine/pump.

The flex fuel pumps are commanded to 43.5 psi
from the factory.

OP
OP
smokymtn65

smokymtn65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a flex fuel truck?

59 psi is pretty high for a flex fuel engine/pump.

The flex fuel pumps are commanded to 43.5 psi
from the factory.
Yes it is a flex fuel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kbuskill

Reaction score
Yes it is a flex fuel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I wonder if your tuner jacked up the fuel pressure in the tune?

I would think having the higher fuel pressure with the bigger flex fuel injectors could be dumping too much fuel, but I would also think the O2 sensors would realize that it was rich and compensate for it as well.

Someone with more tuning experience will hopefully chime in.

@randeez @swathdiver

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn