02 Tahoe: dash & interior lights went OFF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roc1967

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'd appreciate any lead on this.

Dash, instrument panel and all interior lights went OFF, so can't see, for example, the speedometer when driving at night. I can force it ON by spinning the light dimmer/rheostat all the way up, past the 'bump', but then the ceiling lights are ON too, which is undesirable for driving.

I'm the second owner of this 02 Tahoe and have it for ten years never had this problem. Maybe it is related, but I recently replaced the interior lights with LEDs, and that worked fine for about a month. Then one night I open the door and key on, lights go ON normally then suddenly OFF. I fiddled with the dimmer/rheostat to no avail. I actually can get the normal dash/instrument/ interior lights ON (with the ceiling lights OFF) but holding the dimmer/rheostat just leaning against the 'bump', but not past it (which would turn all interior lights ON). After that first occurrence, things randomly worked normal a few more times, but it's been dark now. The odometer stays lit normally though.

1. Is the dimmer/rheostat bad?
  2. Could the LEDs lights have hurt the dimmer?
  3. Does this truck vintage have any light controller or some sort of 'smarts'?

Thanks in advance guys, love the forum.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'd appreciate any lead on this.

Dash, instrument panel and all interior lights went OFF, so can't see, for example, the speedometer when driving at night. I can force it ON by spinning the light dimmer/rheostat all the way up, past the 'bump', but then the ceiling lights are ON too, which is undesirable for driving.

I'm the second owner of this 02 Tahoe and have it for ten years never had this problem. Maybe it is related, but I recently replaced the interior lights with LEDs, and that worked fine for about a month. Then one night I open the door and key on, lights go ON normally then suddenly OFF. I fiddled with the dimmer/rheostat to no avail. I actually can get the normal dash/instrument/ interior lights ON (with the ceiling lights OFF) but holding the dimmer/rheostat just leaning against the 'bump', but not past it (which would turn all interior lights ON). After that first occurrence, things randomly worked normal a few more times, but it's been dark now. The odometer stays lit normally though.

1. Is the dimmer/rheostat bad?
  2. Could the LEDs lights have hurt the dimmer?
  3. Does this truck vintage have any light controller or some sort of 'smarts'?

Thanks in advance guys, love the forum.
Sounds like your switch might be bad. I replaced all of my interior lights in my 03 with leds and I've had 0 issues.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its called a headlight switch. make sure you get the correct one for the year of your truck. A lot of interior electrical changed in 2003. Most auto stores should have them or get a used one out of a junk yard or ebay.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Its called a headlight switch. make sure you get the correct one for the year of your truck. A lot of interior electrical changed in 2003. Most auto stores should have them or get a used one out of a junk yard or ebay.
I know the stock 03 has 2 lights on them--green and red.

CurtBrass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Funny, I am having the same problem on my 2002 Denali and was just about to post when I saw this. Sporadic lighting for instrument panel, stereo and trip computer. The sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Radio still works even when lights off, so wasn't sure what it could be. Ordered a new switch from Rock Auto just now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV