01 Tahoe 5.3 tick then goes away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately sounds less like lifter tick and more like rod knock to me.
my 03 has had lifter tick for years and years and the sound is not the same on yours
a lifter tick will sound more external and near the top, yours sounds more internal and deeper sounding
just my opinion, I would spend the $35 and send a oil sample out to blackstone labs and see what shows up.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
When you say,
"It's normal for it to sound like a ticking lifter."
Is the evap purge solenoid capable of ticking at the same pace as a ticking lifter?
Yup

Threw me for a loop shortly after I got my rig.

Sounds like a ticking lifter at idle. Roughly the proper cadence. When revved, accessory noise drowns it out. Then it 'comes back' when idle is resumed.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
All things worth checking

Got a chance to watch the video with some better speakers.

Honestly, sounds almost like some gnarly piston slap to me.

Real easy way to isolate if it's rod knock vs. anything else: Go to the parts store, grab the cheapest 20w50 they have and throw that in there for a quick 5 minute test.

If it's rod knock, the thicker oil will quiet it down. Will help to cushion the faulting tolerances.

If it's piston slap, will get louder. Thicker oil doesn't sling as well to the piston walls.

Wrist pin/lifters? Not sure.

Exhaust leak: no change

Don't drive the car around with the thick oil in it. Oil pump, drainback, etc ain't rated for it. This is just for a quick driveway test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts