00-01 Cat back different than 02-06

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find why the cat back exhaust systems are different for 00-01 from 02-06 for the Denalis. I even reached out to Magnaflow why their cat back is only listed for 02-06 and they couldn't give me any better answer than "our engineers must have seen something different". Does anyone know what would be different? Magnaflow and I think it was Gibson all list 02-06 for applications for their cat backs, 00-01 is not applicable.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the Walker Dynomax website and see if they show the difference, if any. On my generation, the difference is in the type of flange used after the cats. The early version used 2 bolts and the later ones used a clamp for example.

OP
OP
drdave81

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the Walker Dynomax website and see if they show the difference, if any. On my generation, the difference is in the type of flange used after the cats. The early version used 2 bolts and the later ones used a clamp for example.
They don't list a cat back for any of the 00-06 6.0L, only the 5.3L. I'm starting to think it'll just be easier (and cheaper) to just put a whole 5.3 exhaust, from long tubes all the way back on instead of a 6.0L. My main concern is I keep seeing 5.3 headers and y-pipe may or may not fit nicely. Tonyrodz had to completely pull his front drive shaft out for his headers/Y-pipe. Not an option for AWD.

Where as the ARH headers or Kooks guarantee fitment. Hefty price tag on them though, and then I'm running into this unknown cat back issue lol. I'd also have to find a place somewhere in the system to weld in a converter, since I don't want all the added noise of catless exhaust.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't list a cat back for any of the 00-06 6.0L, only the 5.3L. I'm starting to think it'll just be easier (and cheaper) to just put a whole 5.3 exhaust, from long tubes all the way back on instead of a 6.0L. My main concern is I keep seeing 5.3 headers and y-pipe may or may not fit nicely. Tonyrodz had to completely pull his front drive shaft out for his headers/Y-pipe. Not an option for AWD.

Where as the ARH headers or Kooks guarantee fitment. Hefty price tag on them though, and then I'm running into this unknown cat back issue lol. I'd also have to find a place somewhere in the system to weld in a converter, since I don't want all the added noise of catless exhaust.
On the generation following yours, the 5.3 and 6.0 exhausts are the same. The 6.2s got 3.5" tubing.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.0L was different on the 00-06. It's a dual inlet to the muffler, with a single outlet. So there is no Y-pipe.

Thanks for the info! I reckon then that one could just utilize just about any 3" single configuration to good effect.

00-01 the egr was different, but that was up at the passenger side exhaust manifold.
Hey Mike! How have you been?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2