‘13 Engine ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can we get 1 more video of the motor revving without the vehicle moving?

I was starting to lean towards a lifter or something but sound that occurred while it was moving was interesting, I want to see if it will make the same sound while sitting because there might be more than 1 thing happening that could lead us into the weeds

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe Lt 5.3 with 155k. Just noticed a ticking/rattling from lower part of engine. I have a constant regular ticking(lifter-rocker-rod…?) you can hear in video, but the new sound is the irregular rattle (most audible at 22-26 sec mark). The rattle will increase with acceleration from a stop but becomes inaudible over 10ish mph- not saying it stops, just can’t hear it over the engine. I changed the upstream 02 sensors a week ago coincidentally. Looking for any advice.

kind of lightly sounds like my cat recently did that broke apart inside, put a stethascope on it

OP
OP
T

txtahoe85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can we get 1 more video of the motor revving without the vehicle moving?

I was starting to lean towards a lifter or something but sound that occurred while it was moving was interesting, I want to see if it will make the same sound while sitting because there might be more than 1 thing happening that could lead us into the weeds

I’ll take get one when I get home. The sound gets louder and faster when throttle increases IN GEAR. At idle it’s much less intense and if you throttle in park, it doesn’t increase its tempo or intensity like in drive or reverse.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Them's the teef! How about the three bolts where the torque converter bolts to the flex plate? Gonna have to look way up in there towards the center to check for cracks. They usually crack around the six bolts that mount the flex plate to the crankshaft, often in a ring around the bolts.

17918013-video-cracked-flywheel-flexplate-lisa-038.jpg

OP
OP
T

txtahoe85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
kind of lightly sounds like my cat recently did that broke apart inside, put a stethascope on it

My buddy suggested that, I just don’t understand why it gets louder and incrementally faster with throttle in gear, but in park it’s pretty moderate. I’ve got a trip to CO in a month and I don’t want to bring this damn engine bay band with me!

OP
OP
T

txtahoe85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Them's the teef! How about the three bolts where the torque converter bolts to the flex plate? Gonna have to look way up in there towards the center to check for cracks. They usually crack around the six bolts that mount the flex plate to the crankshaft, often in a ring around the bolts.

View attachment 399694

That’s after dropping the transmission though right? I don’t know if I want to wade off that deep without a lift. Monday I should have one.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s after dropping the transmission though right? I don’t know if I want to wade off that deep without a lift. Monday I should have one.

You should be able to see up in there. You can see one of the three torque converter bolt bosses in your second pic. It's a somewhat thin gap to look through while trying to get your flashlight just right, but you can see the six bolts up around the center that bolt the plate to the crank. Should be plenty able to see cracks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667