‘13 Engine ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust leaks can be mild at idle but increase under load… I wonder if your cat is failing and has a hole in it or around it?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy suggested that, I just don’t understand why it gets louder and incrementally faster with throttle in gear, but in park it’s pretty moderate. I’ve got a trip to CO in a month and I don’t want to bring this damn engine bay band with me!
grab a stethascope from the autoparts store there like $10-15, comes in handy once in a blue moon. I was scared I had a bottom end engine issue until I got under it poked around with one, mine was a bit louder though sounded like a bunch of marbles in a coke bottle

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy suggested that, I just don’t understand why it gets louder and incrementally faster with throttle in gear, but in park it’s pretty moderate. I’ve got a trip to CO in a month and I don’t want to bring this damn engine bay band with me!
More evidence that it’s the starter. When the transmission is in gear the torque converter can exert more forward pressure on the rotating assembly, pushing it toward the starter. With that mileage you likely have some thrust bearing wear.

I’m telling ya… pull that starter and see if the drive gear won’t stay retracted. Had the same thing on my ‘07 six months ago.

OP
OP
T

txtahoe85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
More evidence that it’s the starter. When the transmission is in gear the torque converter can exert more forward pressure on the rotating assembly, pushing it toward the starter. With that mileage you likely have some thrust bearing wear.

I’m telling ya… pull that starter and see if the drive gear won’t stay retracted. Had the same thing on my ‘07 six months ago.

OP
OP
T

txtahoe85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No abnormal wear or shavings.

Attachments

• IMG_7084.jpeg
    IMG_7084.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7078.jpeg
    IMG_7078.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7089.jpeg
    IMG_7089.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
T

txtahoe85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
starter is done for, that gear should self retract and only come up and engage when the solenoid is powered when the key is turned to start, then retract back inside and stay there.

Honestly I wants sure how the starter should act off the car hahaha. So the gear should only deploy when the solenoid pushes out to connect with flywheel. Thank you so much. Let me shop a starter.