‘13 Engine ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txtahoe85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe Lt 5.3 with 155k. Just noticed a ticking/rattling from lower part of engine. I have a constant regular ticking(lifter-rocker-rod…?) you can hear in video, but the new sound is the irregular rattle (most audible at 22-26 sec mark). The rattle will increase with acceleration from a stop but becomes inaudible over 10ish mph- not saying it stops, just can’t hear it over the engine. I changed the upstream 02 sensors a week ago coincidentally. Looking for any advice.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe Lt 5.3 with 155k. Just noticed a ticking/rattling from lower part of engine. I have a constant regular ticking(lifter-rocker-rod…?) you can hear in video, but the new sound is the irregular rattle (most audible at 22-26 sec mark). The rattle will increase with acceleration from a stop but becomes inaudible over 10ish mph- not saying it stops, just can’t hear it over the engine. I changed the upstream 02 sensors a week ago coincidentally. Looking for any advice.
Might need to upload the video to YouTube with public permissions and link it back here.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hear two distinct problems in that video. 1/ A light lifter tap (regular rhythm at half crank rotation speed) and 2/ What sounds to me like either a bad flex plate or the starter tapping against the flex plate.

The first one I wouldn't worry about yet because it's not that bad and may fix itself. The second one I would get fixed ASAP. Gonna require pulling the transmission out if it is indeed the flex plate. BUT, another probable source of #2 is the starter. One of the failure modes of the starter on these is that the drive gear retract spring collar fails and lets it tap against the flywheel. I'll see if I can find some examples.

Here's an example of the starter noise to compare it with:

And here's an example of the flex plate noise.

To my ear, yours sounds more like the starter noise, so that's where I'd start because it's a relatively easy fix - just swap out the starter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

txtahoe85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hear two distinct problems in that video. 1/ A light lifter tap (regular rhythm at half crank rotation speed) and 2/ What sounds to me like either a bad flex plate or the starter tapping against the flex plate.

The first one I wouldn't worry about yet because it's not that bad and may fix itself. The second one I would get fixed ASAP. Gonna require pulling the transmission out if it is indeed the flex plate. BUT, another probable source of #2 is the starter. One of the failure modes of the starter on these is that the drive gear retract spring collar fails and lets it tap against the flywheel. I'll see if I can find some examples.

Here's an example of the starter noise to compare it with:

And here's an example of the flex plate noise.

To my ear, yours sounds more like the starter noise, so that's where I'd start because it's a relatively easy fix - just swap out the starter.

Yeah mine sounds like the flex plate but much quieter than the truck in the video. Was hoping for something not requiring $1000 of labor.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would pop the inspection cover off the bellhousing and look in with a bright flashlight. Check for cracked flex plate and loose bolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew