Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say maybe 15k or less since the rebuild. I think he might've used the Raybestos Z pack--sounds so familiar--are they no good? I've been kind of rough on the trans tho, not continuously, but I did blow the rearend.
Fluid looked good and didn't smell burned.
Gotcha, rear end blow outs can cause damage to the trans in some cases.

The Z Pack is designed to take what are referred to as dual-sided discs, where you have friction material on one side and bare steel on the other...There's either 12 or 14 separate such discs in each pack and they are very, very thin. I've torn down numerous 700R4s and 4L60Es where that pack was absolutely smoked and no other notable wear or damage to anything else in the transmission. I used it a couple times in high performance builds when I first started rebuilding transmissions and in each case, when the trans came back for a refresh after racing for a year or so, those things were completely charbroiled.

I'll use a 4L65E stack with BW high energy frictions or Alto Reds, Raybestos Reds or GPZ or Alto kevlar-impregnated high energy max packs in the 3-4 for anything real performance oriented. I'll pair those frictions with Kolene or lindered flat steels. If I'm using a Sonnax Smart Tech or Cope Racing forward drum, I have more flexibility insofar as what I can do with the 3-4 pack.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Gotcha, rear end blow outs can cause damage to the trans in some cases.

The Z Pack is designed to take what are referred to as dual-sided discs, where you have friction material on one side and bare steel on the other...There's either 12 or 14 separate such discs in each pack and they are very, very thin. I've torn down numerous 700R4s and 4L60Es where that pack was absolutely smoked and no other notable wear or damage to anything else in the transmission. I used it a couple times in high performance builds when I first started rebuilding transmissions and in each case, when the trans came back for a refresh after racing for a year or so, those things were completely charbroiled.

I'll use a 4L65E stack with BW high energy frictions or Alto Reds, Raybestos Reds or GPZ or Alto kevlar-impregnated high energy max packs in the 3-4 for anything real performance oriented. I'll pair those frictions with Kolene or lindered flat steels. If I'm using a Sonnax Smart Tech or Cope Racing forward drum, I have more flexibility insofar as what I can do with the 3-4 pack.
I really hope it's not anything serious, but with this tahoe it's always the worse case scenario. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I just texted my Trans guy, so hopefully he'll get back to me soon. He's turned into a real flake.
Thanks again Nick.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really hope it's not anything serious, but with this tahoe it's always the worse case scenario. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I just texted my Trans guy, so hopefully he'll get back to me soon. He's turned into a real flake.
Thanks again Nick.
You're welcome, man...Is your trans still under warranty?

Typically, shops will give one year or 12,000 miles whichever comes first but can vary a bit from shop to shop.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
You're welcome, man...Is your trans still under warranty?

Typically, shops will give one year or 12,000 miles whichever comes first but can vary a bit from shop to shop.
Absolutely not lol. It's actually been a few years since I've had it done. Guy that did it, did it out of his boss's shop as a side job.
I haven't put a lot of miles on it because it's always had 1 issue or another. When I finally get it running 100% it gets an issue lol. I swear it hates me.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the clock spring for sure. but being your truck didnt not have the radio set up from factory im really unsure the buttons will work. i suppose you could unplug the clock spring under the dash in your truck and count the pins in the truck side plug see if the plug of the new column matches up before spending to much time on it to make sure its got a shot at working.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what's exactly needed to convert to a steering wheel with buttons, from a standard wheel? I have a complete column for any parts that would be needed.
What does it feature?
Volume controls and cruise control? I recon there is probably nothing wrong with the current wheel in the Hoe.
Have you worn out the old 1 hanging on too hard since you got her tuned??
Hahahaha L.m.f.a.o :driver:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
What does it feature?
Volume controls and cruise control? I recon there is probably nothing wrong with the current wheel in the Hoe.
Have you worn out the old 1 hanging on too hard since you got her tuned??
Hahahaha L.m.f.a.o :driver:
I really wanted it for the other features, like your mpg, lighting options etc--all the info I can't get otherwise.