Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
So how can you tell if it's a lifter or a header gasket making ticking noises?
My last truck had a very common issue with header gaskets going bad and would start to make a ticking noise upon start up but after a few minutes it got warm and the ticking went away. Maybe left unattended it would get worse over time I'm not sure as I had mine fixed within a week.
I would guess a lifter would tick the whole time driving.:shrug:
I just hate how they both have the exact same sound lol. Scared the crap out of me when I first heard it.
Just my experience with header gaskets, no experience with bad lifters (fingers crossed)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifter tick is just at startup alot of times too. Hard to tell the difference to me. My header gasket leak was a constant sound.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Epic fail today and I'm super pissed. The old gasket didn't seem like it was blown out. Didn't see anything unusual.20180528_131143.jpg 20180528_131150.jpg
Here's the "new" gaskets after I tried moving them around once they were in place. The 2 center holes wouldn't line up for anything, so I was moving them around.20180528_135037.jpg
What a waste of time and money. I had to put the old gasket back in and it leaks even louder.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Epic fail today and I'm super pissed. The old gasket didn't seem like it was blown out. Didn't see anything unusual.View attachment 200373 View attachment 200375
Here's the "new" gaskets after I tried moving them around once they were in place. The 2 center holes wouldn't line up for anything, so I was moving them around.View attachment 200374
What a waste of time and money. I had to put the old gasket back in and it leaks even louder.
They only go on one way so you must have had then turned around wrong. Those old gaskets were leaking almost everywhere it looks to me. Why didn't you just go to the auto parts store and get a new set instead of putting the old ones back on? Once they're crushed once that's it. They're not reusable. Sorry for that bad news. Man that sucks. At least you have practice now.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those new gaskets should make a world of difference they were leaking like crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I hate to say it but this is a problem with cheap headers, trying to get them to seal. If a new set doesn't fix it I've heard of using 2 sets to make up for the irregularities in the flanges. That's why I was steering you to the Remtex but they're fragile like you found out. Sorry you're having problems but you'll get it eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harpo123