Someone tried to steal The Beast, now the ignition wont turn on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
View attachment 191096 Help guys. Last night while watching a movie with my daughter, someone tried to steal my Denali and messed up the ignition switch. I can get it to go into acc so I'm thinking the tumblers are allright. It looks like they put vise-grips on the cylinder to try to turn it. I saw a video where they talked about those 2 pins that detent when it gets to the off and acc positions and thought maybe they were keeping it from turning and they said to use a mallet to tap on the key while you try to turn it. I did and the outer ring broke off so those pins aren't stopping it from turning. It's something internal, it feels like. I saw in videos where you need to get it to turn to the on position to be able to put a rod in the hole up top and remove the cylinder but since I can't get it to turn to the on position I'm screwed. There's no spring pressure anymore when I push the cylinder in to turn it to acc either. So anybody know what my options are? Am I gonna have to remove the entire column? Anybody done that? Help please. It took me and a tow truck driver 3 hours last night to get it home. We had to use plastic skids under all 4 tires and a lot of dish soap. What a *****. F*uck I hate thieves. At least they didn't get The Beast. I'm getting LowJack after this, anybody got any good info on those as well?

I can't believe what some people will do. Glad they didn't get her, red.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang that's some sad stuff there! I. Glad it ended of alright! It could have been worse. No alarm on the ole girl?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this..... I'm glad that you still have your Truck.. I hear about this on all of the forums i'm on and it sickens me..

I have to ask... i know that Car alarms wont stop a thief... but it seems that when i hear these stories(perhaps i missed it here) that a viper or some kind of alarm wasn't installed..Not trying to be a smart ass or anything.. but why not install one?

If it 230am and i need to steal a car i am going to avoid one with an alarm.. it's like buying a $1k phone and NOT taking out insurance on it... or worse yet NOT putting a proper protective case on it.

The Blaring siren i think is a safe bet.

Once again i'm sorry about your situation.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this..... I'm glad that you still have your Truck.. I hear about this on all of the forums i'm on and it sickens me..

I have to ask... i know that Car alarms wont stop a thief... but it seems that when i hear these stories(perhaps i missed it here) that a viper or some kind of alarm wasn't installed..Not trying to be a smart ass or anything.. but why not install one?

If it 230am and i need to steal a car i am going to avoid one with an alarm.. it's like buying a $1k phone and NOT taking out insurance on it... or worse yet NOT putting a proper protective case on it.

The Blaring siren i think is a safe bet.

Once again i'm sorry about your situation.
My cousin has been an installer for years. He always installs a secondary alarm under the dash so that they can't stand to be in the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats sounds like a good idea too. or perhaps one of those sonic noise makers they use at riots.... then the bad guy will sue you because he now is either Deaf, or has Neurological, or other problems.
with any luck all of the above.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score

VDV18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, sorry to read this Red. As you stated, and I agree, I ****** hate thieves. :mad:

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm just gonna start using a club on the steering wheel. That usually will keep them from even breaking in. I don't want Jimmy Jammers, I've seen the bodywork damage from them trying to get past those. I'd rather they pop a lock and get in, then see the club. The damage to the handle isn't hard to fix. They can always just pop a window anyway. And I know alarms have come a long way since I used to install them but I still hate them. Plus I'll be installing a LoJack so if they do actually take it, I can find them and exact my revenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts