Ignition on engine off fuel pump pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve_K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
96 Tahoe 5.7L. Been down quite a while. Ran weak on fuel pressure, liked to die at stoplights any time I was below 1/4 tank. Then it just ceased starting after I reached my parking place. I did no diagnostics. Found a correct pump, Delphi. After changing this twice, getting high 20s on fuel pressure on Ign On Eng Off. Wondering what components would tell ECM to not send voltage to pump. Like a crankshaft position sensor or a TBI poppet on the injectors.

My crank is great and it wants to start. Going to swap relay off different 6.0L and re-test. Looking for obvious I may have skipped. I will hook up jumper wires and see how the ecm is getting signal from the ignition prime. Test the affected relays at trigger post.

I suspect issue is not the fuel pump or the wiring or the grounding, but in the electrical control side. I have a clean West coast vehicle and voltages were coming up very good. I have fresh fuel filter. Tank was spotless inside. Removed fuel filter was in perfect condition. Fuel is fresh.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know these engines but doesn't the oil pressure sender in these control the ignition somehow? Bad sender?

Others with more knowledge will jump in, I'm sure.
That was on the TBIs only IIRC.
96 Tahoe 5.7L. Been down quite a while. Ran weak on fuel pressure, liked to die at stoplights any time I was below 1/4 tank. Then it just ceased starting after I reached my parking place. I did no diagnostics. Found a correct pump, Delphi. After changing this twice, getting high 20s on fuel pressure on Ign On Eng Off. Wondering what components would tell ECM to not send voltage to pump. Like a crankshaft position sensor or a TBI poppet on the injectors.

My crank is great and it wants to start. Going to swap relay off different 6.0L and re-test. Looking for obvious I may have skipped. I will hook up jumper wires and see how the ecm is getting signal from the ignition prime. Test the affected relays at trigger post.

I suspect issue is not the fuel pump or the wiring or the grounding, but in the electrical control side. I have a clean West coast vehicle and voltages were coming up very good. I have fresh fuel filter. Tank was spotless inside. Removed fuel filter was in perfect condition. Fuel is fresh.
No entirety sure I'm following you. You are getting 20 psi of fuel pressure after changing your pump? Right?

You didn't do diagnostics prior to replacing the pump, right?

You have either a leaking injector and/fuel pressure regulator. Both are problems for these generation of "spider" injectors. I've never done this, but you can try shining a light down the throttle body to see if the FPR is dumping all the fuel inside the plenum. If that's the case, it's the reason why truck is acting like that, it's literally getting flooded with fuel.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Confused. Why change pump twice? You said with KOEO you had 20 psi and then asked about ECM not sending voltage to pump? If no voltage, how did you have 20 psi? Am I missing something? I could have sworn that the OPS shut off for fuel pump was during this year but I could be wrong.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On cold starts. Key to run position, the fuel pump should operate of about 20 seconds then stop. If you have 20 lbs pressure, the pump has run and timed out and will not run until ecm senses oil pressure or the key is cycle off and back to run.
Check for spark at the spark plug, if no spark check all the ignition components, spark plugs, spark plug cables, disturbuter cap and rotor, electrical wires connected to distributor, etc. This engine has crank sensor located at front of the engine and senses at the balancer. Check this connection as well.
"been down for a while," means unfriendly coorsion has had an opprotunity to take over all electrical connection.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confused. Why change pump twice? You said with KOEO you had 20 psi and then asked about ECM not sending voltage to pump? If no voltage, how did you have 20 psi? Am I missing something? I could have sworn that the OPS shut off for fuel pump was during this year but I could be wrong.
He's "thinking" the ECU is not sending voltage (correct voltage?) to the fuel pump because he's only got 20 psi of pressure. SMH...So I guess he changed it twice.

My guess is he only has 20 psi of fuel pressure because he's got a massive fuel leak under the plenum. Needs to test to confirm. But if this is the infamous original spiders, time for a complete new MPFI injector assembly; it comes with a new FPR.

Last edited:

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're doing some real fishing here. First off the system is a return system so if the return is wide open, like the regulator is open or injectors are open you won't build any pressure. You want to chase voltage problems, what are the voltage readings you're getting? Start with battery voltage first and then do voltage drop tests. Not just what the voltage reads at different points but read the actual voltage that is dropping, if you don't understand do the google for voltage drop tests. Also keep in mind that for electricity to work it has to be able to return to the battery, in other words check all grounds. I think you're chasing the wrong problem with voltage but without testing we're all guessing.

OP
OP
S

Steve_K

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After way too muchvtriuble, I have this solved. I

My crank is great and it wants to start. Going to swap relay off different 6.0L and re-test. Looking for obvious I may have skipped. I will hook up jumper wires and see how the ecm is getting sithe ot gnal from the ignition prime. Test the affected relays at trigger post.

Here is the solution. I just go lucky on stumbling onto it These cars are so hard to source parts for. I landed on the OEM type Delphi pump through Parts Geek. I did a lot of testing on it, and not sure if I caused first pump fail or if was a defect, but it had a short in the pump motor. Re-ordered a different Delphi with steel lines, but those lines had a down leg bend and would not fit the tank. I ordered another of the same Delphi pump as first one from Parts Geek. There just were no options, not rock auto, GM parts direct, etc... The pump that i could find was Chinese, or US reseller companies like Spectra (a grab bag of stuff).
This current pump is the Delphi that looks correct, has the original steel lines to compression couplings that mate to my new GM OEM steel lines for the rear section.

I called Delphi who I chosen so I could actually get support. They answered at 6:30 PM my time, I got to a tech support very fast. Provided my pump which by lookup was suppossed to be correct for 1996 (per Parts Geek) He tells me it is in fact a 25 psi pump made for Throttle Body (1995). I am getting exactly 25 psi when I tested this evening, in addition to doing one more 4 stage relay testing sequence. Car does exactly what it needs to. BCM sends signal. Voltage strong, Relay gets switch voltage on right steps. Tech support tells me I need a FG0084. I look it up as I talk and it is a plastic type I was trying to not order, but it does not have the steel lines, requires hose clamp fuel line connections. The right pump which starts 96 is a 62 psi pump, just like all the fact finding says.
I ask for a pump to use on my Delphi assembly that lets me stay in the wrong 95 unit with a 62 psi pump. That pump only part is FE0114. But it lets me keep my factory type housing and float, and steel lines.

The other part I battled over was replacing the fuel filler hose. Rockauto shows Dorman and Spectra (just resells various brands). I order the Dorman and is about 3" too short. Has to go back. No one in the entire industy has the right hose (via major brand stores). They all have the wrong 11" Dorman / Spectra. I find the correct one at Filler Neck Supply Co. It is a 15.25" long one. You have to shop the wrong application to find it. I stumbled onto that because my OEM hose has 4293 on it. D200A45R13R2.25 is their part but factory cross is 15644293. The lookup guide says it is for 92-99 Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade.

I have bought tons of parts. This 2 door Tahoe makes me work very hard to find stuff that is correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar