How do I turn off the radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I actually turn off the radio? I can turn off the radio from the dash button, although that shuts off the screen too. I can also turn down the volume. Even when I do either of these things, the auto stop (if I forget to turn it off) cycling will start the radio up again and stopping and starting the ignition does the same. I've have also tried turning the channel to sirius - which I've allowed to lapse - but this too starts the audio again and plays a promo message. I want to turn the radio off using the radio controls. But how?

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Moved you here from the General Discussion section.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please clarify what you mean by "Off"

I know it seems obvious, but people have different interpretations of it.

On this vehicle, the infotainment system is always enabled
You can also just turn off the display.

You can hit the On/Off button momentarily and it will mute the audio.
You can hold the On/Off button and it will turn off the infotainment system.

1705428216110.png

You can also turn the display off, but leave the system on:
Hit Settings -> Display -> Turn Display Off to turn it off
Hit anywhere on the screen to turn it back on, see Owners Manual, excerpt below:
1705428524319.png

I would not expect any of these states to change when going through an auto Start/Stop cycle...but, honestly have never tried to have it off or muted and do this.

vdenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How do I actually turn off the radio? I can turn off the radio from the dash button, although that shuts off the screen too. I can also turn down the volume. Even when I do either of these things, the auto stop (if I forget to turn it off) cycling will start the radio up again and stopping and starting the ignition does the same. I've have also tried turning the channel to sirius - which I've allowed to lapse - but this too starts the audio again and plays a promo message. I want to turn the radio off using the radio controls. But how?
If I'm understanding correctly, I had the same gripe/annoyance with the radio/xm. If you turn the radio off, it turns everything off, including the screen. I don't think there's a solution...I just had to deal with turning the radio down every time so nothing blares when I start the vehicle.

Steve Smith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If I'm understanding correctly, I had the same gripe/annoyance with the radio/xm. If you turn the radio off, it turns everything off, including the screen. I don't think there's a solution...I just had to deal with turning the radio down every time so nothing blares when I start the vehicle.

You can set the maximum radio volume after a startup.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems really unusual that the auto start-stop feature would disable your MUTE every time the engine starts. Is that what you are saying?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar