Someone tried to steal The Beast, now the ignition wont turn on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_7383.JPG Help guys. Last night while watching a movie with my daughter, someone tried to steal my Denali and messed up the ignition switch. I can get it to go into acc so I'm thinking the tumblers are allright. It looks like they put vise-grips on the cylinder to try to turn it. I saw a video where they talked about those 2 pins that detent when it gets to the off and acc positions and thought maybe they were keeping it from turning and they said to use a mallet to tap on the key while you try to turn it. I did and the outer ring broke off so those pins aren't stopping it from turning. It's something internal, it feels like. I saw in videos where you need to get it to turn to the on position to be able to put a rod in the hole up top and remove the cylinder but since I can't get it to turn to the on position I'm screwed. There's no spring pressure anymore when I push the cylinder in to turn it to acc either. So anybody know what my options are? Am I gonna have to remove the entire column? Anybody done that? Help please. It took me and a tow truck driver 3 hours last night to get it home. We had to use plastic skids under all 4 tires and a lot of dish soap. What a *****. F*uck I hate thieves. At least they didn't get The Beast. I'm getting LowJack after this, anybody got any good info on those as well?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but I'm happy those lowlife scumbags didn't get her. If you need the column cover plastics, I got one for ya. Just get the shipping. Sorry again Red.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cover is fine, it didn't have screws so it just popped off. Otherwise they would have destroyed it.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Little late, but I installed these. Prevents what happened to you, or slows them down some.Screenshot_20180121-134234.png
They also have it for the rear hatch.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hot wire the sumbitch, dont even know if you csn one these sny more...i used to do it on my 70’s and 80’s gms....

When you put key in are you pushing in on that little button on top while trying to turn key at same time?

Sorry mark, that blows

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they screwed it up pretty good already where you would have to replace it, so hammer a screw driver in there and vise grip it over. Also could probably drill out the cylinder so all the tumblers break free for free travel

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little late, but I installed these. Prevents what happened to you, or slows them down some.View attachment 191098
They also have it for the rear hatch.
No those wouldn't have helped. They defeated the lock cylinder itself. Those things keep them from prying the plastic piece out and sliding something behind there to access the lock rod. I looked into those before, but thanks. I appreciate you looking out for me!

IMG_7384.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got it to turn thanks to this video I finally found, started it up and took it for a short test drive to make sure nothing got messed up during the tow. Now I just need some new lock cylinders. Thanks guys. @Rivieraracing I looked into trying to drill it out and it looked like trouble, there are pieces in there meant to defeat that effort and if you're not careful you can screw things up pretty bad. The cylinder itself was moving the tumblers into place, I can get it into acc so I didn't need a screw driver and I had already used vise-grips but it wasn't budging. There's another piece that needs to move as seen in the video.