???Best Car Alarm to Buy??? Tahoe Broken Into Yesterday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FarFromStock

Reaction score
Super pissed today as so piece of s**t broke into my Tahoe while I was at the gym last night. I came out to my Tahoe and the keyed entry on the driver door handle was missing. The thief punched the lock mechanism out of the door handle and was able to open my door and rifle through my belongings. Worst part about it is the stock GM alarm did absolutely nothing. Even worse I called OnStar and they say they have no record of any incident. The only thing they would be able to do is locate the vehicle if it was in fact stolen. Needless to say I am extremely pissed right now.

As someone who has invested a serious amount of $$$ into this Tahoe I am looking into getting an aftermarket alarm for the truck. I know there are some that will say that it is a waste because if someone wants to steal it bad enough they are going to figure out some way to steal it. I get that, and am just trying to make it as difficult as possible for them to get off with my Tahoe, and to delay the process as long as possible and hopefully catch the piece of s**t in the action with my shotgun.

I want to know what experience others have with aftermarket alarms? I have done some searching online on and have come across Clifford, Viper, Python, and Compustar as the main companies selling alarms. is one company better than the others? Is one brand harder to disconnect? What alarm makes it the hardest to steal the vehicle?

Also does anyone know of a reinforcement for the door lock mechanism to prevent it from being punched out? Pretty bad that someone can literally just punch it out with a screwdriver and move the door latch to break into the trucks like this.

I know I want an alarm with the following features:
-2 way system
-remote start
-be able to be controlled with smart phone
-lcd screen
-kill start so someone can not start the Tahoe
-detects if someone bump checks the tahoe
-detect windows being broken
-tilt sensor if they try to jack up to steal wheels or tow
-battery backup for the alarm siren

Any advise, comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the info and sorry for the long post.

Aaron_L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a plate that goes in behind the lock, preventing the lock from being punched in. http://www.jimmijammer.com/Product, JJ.htm Some of the questions you are asking are depends on the installer. How well the system is hidden in the vehicle makes it harder for a thief to find and disable. I plan on using two rear door handles on the front doors to eliminate the locks, and taking the rods completely out.

I currently have the factory alarm in my truck. Several years ago I had a heavily customized regular cab Chevy SWB that I had a Clifford alarm installed after a few break-ins. It had everything you're describing, except for the phone control, as the technology probably wasn't there yet. It also had a backup battery, a REALLY high pitched interior siren along with the underhood one, and a motion detector. If someone stood in the window for more than a few seconds it would chirp. If they didn't move away the alarm would go off. I looked all through that truck and never found the components. They must have pulled the dash to put it in.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I love compustar. they also just came out with a interior camera system that can be triggered by movement

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love compustar. they also just came out with a interior camera system that can be triggered by movement

Do you have to place stickers notifying that they are under video surveillance? You don't want to impede on the perp's right to privacy without their consent. :confused:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Do you have to place stickers notifying that they are under video surveillance? You don't want to impede on the perp's right to privacy without their consent. :confused:

Nope. Then they shouldn't be in your property with out your consent either then

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Then they shouldn't be in your property with out your consent either then

I was being sarcastic and mocking how it seems these days that one has to first and foremost protect [the alledged] offender's rights and well-being before protecting themselves and their property.

Zigger21

Reaction score
Super pissed today as so piece of s**t broke into my Tahoe while I was at the gym last night. I came out to my Tahoe and the keyed entry on the driver door handle was missing. The thief punched the lock mechanism out of the door handle and was able to open my door and rifle through my belongings. Worst part about it is the stock GM alarm did absolutely nothing. Even worse I called OnStar and they say they have no record of any incident. The only thing they would be able to do is locate the vehicle if it was in fact stolen. Needless to say I am extremely pissed right now.

As someone who has invested a serious amount of $$$ into this Tahoe I am looking into getting an aftermarket alarm for the truck. I know there are some that will say that it is a waste because if someone wants to steal it bad enough they are going to figure out some way to steal it. I get that, and am just trying to make it as difficult as possible for them to get off with my Tahoe, and to delay the process as long as possible and hopefully catch the piece of s**t in the action with my shotgun.

I want to know what experience others have with aftermarket alarms? I have done some searching online on and have come across Clifford, Viper, Python, and Compustar as the main companies selling alarms. is one company better than the others? Is one brand harder to disconnect? What alarm makes it the hardest to steal the vehicle?

Also does anyone know of a reinforcement for the door lock mechanism to prevent it from being punched out? Pretty bad that someone can literally just punch it out with a screwdriver and move the door latch to break into the trucks like this.

I know I want an alarm with the following features:
-2 way system
-remote start
-be able to be controlled with smart phone
-lcd screen
-kill start so someone can not start the Tahoe
-detects if someone bump checks the tahoe
-detect windows being broken
-tilt sensor if they try to jack up to steal wheels or tow
-battery backup for the alarm siren

Any advise, comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the info and sorry for the long post.

I have been through through three generations of Viper Remote Start and Alarm and they have became leaps and bounds from "Protected by Viper Stand back. They are simple to set up just like it. Like the shock sensor you can adjust on your own to wear if a guy bumps into your ride it warns them with two chirps and lets you know on the screen the warning shock was activated with a chirp and a vibrate, if it happens again within 5 minutes it goes into full blown alarm and it lets you know with the remote vibrating and beeping and letting you know something is going on. The Remote start has a mile range and lets you know when you hit the start the button and after it starts it shows smoke coming out the exhaust on the LCD and you can also adjust the Temp on the inside with buttons showing up or down all depending where you live. I live in ND so Im happy when its around 87 degree's so its nice and toasty when I get in. It has so many add ons like the Iphone application to check everything from anywhere in the world. When it was last started, if you had any warnings or any alarms. You can have it let you know these alerts right away when it happens. It will also let you know if the vehicle was tilted like being towed which should not be done because its all wheel drive and you can call On star to see what is going on and call the police if need be. You can get a sensor that cover's your car up to 3 feet away. If anyone gets within you perimeter it will chirp once, again chirps twice up to 5 chirps then if they dont move back you can speak into the Iphone to have them move back, If they dont listen the alarm will go off and it gives you an option to turn off remote and reactivate sensor or contact the Police. If the alarm goes off even for .001 second it shuts down the starter until you activate everything is OK. Plus you can get window roll down, moon roof open up but I would have the sensor option if you decide that. I would shop around for the right alarm,remote start to fit your needs. I just wanted to give you my VIPER love but remember its your call and depends on what you need and your price range. Take Care. Happy Shopping.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic and mocking how it seems these days that one has to first and foremost protect [the alledged] offender's rights and well-being before protecting themselves and their property.

Lol so was I.

OP
OP
FarFromStock

FarFromStock

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input fellas. Been busy getting the driver door and ignition rekeyed.

Apparently Chevy is just making a generic GM key now days no more bowtie chevy pride? Anyone run into this problem? I called around to a few different dealerships and was told they don't make the key with the bowtie on it any longer. They gave me 2 keys for the new code and cylinders that have a generic GM logo on it. Bummer part is the key is longer than the original and sticks out of the ignition a little further. Still looking around to see if I can locate some of the original bowtie keys. My OCD is for sure kicking in about this lol.

Funny you bring up the jimmijammer Aaron. I literally ordered the set for the front doors, rear doors, and the hood latch protector from them over the weekend. Had not seen all the replies yet. Will be installing those bad boys asap.

I too thought about removing the keyed entry to the vehicle. But what would you do if the truck battery goes dead? You would have no way to get access to your Tahoe and pop the hood to change the battery. If you have an idea or way around this I would be interested as I crossed my mind too.

Leaning toward compustar at this point because of the allacart feature that I can add a bunch of different stuff to it. 3mile remote range too. Would be really interested in the interior camera system that Sumo brought up. Will be making my decision and getting something installed next week

OP
OP
FarFromStock

FarFromStock

Reaction score
At this point I think I have it narrowed down to the Compustar Pro T11 2 way remote for remote start and security control. The other I was considering is the viper color Oled 2 way.

T11-solo.jpg5906v-2.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on these two?

From what I have read and heard form others it sounds like Viper is swallowing up Clifford and Python to be all one company directed? Viper is the main branded name we all recognize at this point. All of their remotes look pretty much identical.

I have to admit I am leaning toward the compustar at this point. The remote looks like a much more durable remote and it has a 3 mile radius! I have read a lot of great things about them and have had them recommended by several at this point. I have also had viper recommended a lot too. I guess a lot is preference.

Will update once I purchase one or the other sometime next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk