reedal's '03 Tahoe build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good! How did you get the shape that you wanted?

For the door pods, I used the factory grilles. Lay down some aluminum foil on the inside of them, and then some resin, fiberglass cloth to take care of the shape, pushing from the center out with a chip brush, and then some chop mat to give it strength all over. The only catch to using the grilles is the pod from the passenger grille has to be used for the drivers door, and vice versa.

For the kicks, I cut some small dowels down to the size I needed to angle the speaker in a way it would fit and play out towards the seats some, then I started with hot glue in one corner of the kick and pressed the fleece to it, then pulled it tightly across to the opposite side and glued there, then while pressing it to the shape of the speaker ring and contours of the kicks, put a little glue to hold it in those curves, and then hold it down there while you keep stretching to the edges and glue some more. The fleece is super thick though, so I'm going to rip it off and use lycra instead. Much stretchier, and thinner, making it easier to manipulate, and will look better once I glass it, meaning less body work.

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put some new housings in
2915ADBF-9E50-489E-AC61-28E7B82C67EF_zpsouzzwqjx.jpg

Haven't done anything else. Procrastination at its finest. Just having a hard time finding motivation after work.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Bustin your ass at work , cant hate on that. Get dat $$$

Lights look good

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bustin your ass at work , cant hate on that. Get dat $$$

Lights look good
Thank you. They do look pretty good I think. I should have a little more free time coming up in June, and hopefully be able to finish up the doors, kicks, and pillars.

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out of town for a wedding, dropped the Tahoe off Thursday to get some suspension and steering work done. New control arms, tie rods, wheel bearings, idler and pitman arms, shocks front and rear, and rear coil springs. Definitely put a hurting on the budget, but this week is supposed to be nice and warm so I may get a little fiberglassing in. Hopefully. We'll see.

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other things done are I replaced the rear hatch supports with some TuffSupport lifts thanks to a recommendation on another thread I found. Hatch pops up no problems now. Before it was intermittently falling down when open. I ordered replacement for the glass lifts as well which should be here today. The lifts are really easy to pop off and replace for anyone wondering. I used 1AAuto's YouTube video to learn how.

Gonna work on the A-pillars some this week. They need sanding and body work done, then a couple coats of paint and they'll be ready for install

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smallest progress update ever.

i finally got around to working on my pillars. I can't take credit for the glassing or anything. I bought these off of someone else, sanded the paint down, and now I'm doing a little filling in some small spots where the body work and edges were damaged when it arrived. Once I'm satisfied I'll use the SEM paint I bought which is a medium gray. The current color you see is from primer filler to see what spots need work.

76EAEBC7-4954-4450-BE2F-779F6CB45259_zpseiggxyl3.jpg

365 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey reedal, nice work. Enjoying reading the build. . Did you find a solution to your "Service Brake Booster " message? I recently bought a 2003 Tahoe LT fully loaded, and would get that message once I started driving. It had a 130A alternator. Replaced alternator with a 145A rebuilt and no more message. Just FYI.
Keep up the good work.