reedal's '03 Tahoe build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Nice work!
Those speaker tweakers legit? I've never used them
Careful with 50w in those fog housings. But I might just be paranoid too. My 35w hids haven't melted mine yet.

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work!
Those speaker tweakers legit? I've never used them
Careful with 50w in those fog housings. But I might just be paranoid too. My 35w hids haven't melted mine yet.

I've never used them either, but it's supposed to help the speaker response. Guess we'll see. I got them 30% off each, so I figured give it a shot

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving around for a few days (no stereo equipment installed yet) it's a pretty quiet ride. The only thing I hear is the wind against the windows, and a small amount of engine noise, which I'm sure would be quieted if I had done the firewall. I'm satisfied with the results of all of the noise dampening I installed. Time to get to work on reinstalling the stereo equipment.

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These came in the other day.

Two SMD quad ANL fuse holders
BC0402B9-8E22-4BF3-AD52-1A12C0B4913E_zpsloqhmdsi.jpg

And a DC Power Inc. triple alt bracket
554DF66A-E185-4E9F-9FEA-928EEAA470D7_zpsowkllx6e.jpg

But it's time to work on the door pods.

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't spent anymore time on the pods since I started them last week, so I decided that since I was stuck on the ship today for duty, and I didn't have night watch, I'd bring them and my dremel in and get rid of the excess glass and make them sit flush inside of the factory grilles.

9938F6BC-E7BA-43A6-B53A-652E8060300B_zpshwhccmip.jpg

Couple of air bubbles inside that one, thought I got them all good with my roller, but oh well. They're both pretty solid and layered. Sometime this week/weekend I'll see how they sit in the doors, and I'll drill a couple holes and either glass or glue some bolts for mounting into place. Once that's done, it'll be time to angle the speaker rings where I want, glue them into place, then stretch some cloth and glass it for strength, a little (ha!) body work, and paint. Or maybe I'll bedline them to hide my horrible bodyworking. We'll see.

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn brother, just read the entire build...awesome work! You're the perfect person that should be able to answer my question regarding stereo installations. I have to run 3 rca's and 1 remote wire from the hu back to the amps including 4/0 power and ground cables. I plan on running the remote/rca's on the passenger side and the power and ground on the drivers side

I bought these rca's... KnuKonceptz Krystal Twisted Pair 2 Channel Smoke RCA Cable 20ft 6M OFC | eBay but they're as thick as 4/0 wire! My system will consist of 2- 1000 watt 10'' rockford fosgate subs and 4- 90 watt 6.5''watt rockford forget door speakers, 1- 2000 watt mono amp for the subs and 1- 500 watt amp for the door speakers...nothing nearly as crazy as yours lol

Are those rca's overkill? or should I just run normal sized rca's since they won't fit under the floor trim?

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn brother, just read the entire build...awesome work! You're the perfect person that should be able to answer my question regarding stereo installations. I have to run 3 rca's and 1 remote wire from the hu back to the amps including 4/0 power and ground cables. I plan on running the remote/rca's on the passenger side and the power and ground on the drivers side

I bought these rca's... KnuKonceptz Krystal Twisted Pair 2 Channel Smoke RCA Cable 20ft 6M OFC | eBay but they're as thick as 4/0 wire! My system will consist of 2- 1000 watt 10'' rockford fosgate subs and 4- 90 watt 6.5''watt rockford forget door speakers, 1- 2000 watt mono amp for the subs and 1- 500 watt amp for the door speakers...nothing nearly as crazy as yours lol

Are those rca's overkill? or should I just run normal sized rca's since they won't fit under the floor trim?

I appreciate the viewing :)

If they're that thick, I'd recommend some different ones so you can run it under the carpet/along the door trim pieces, or however you plan to in order to keep them out of site. There is absolutely no reason for an RCA cable to be that thick. I use Sky high car audio triple shielded RCAs with no issues or noise, they're about the size of 8awg wire, and pretty flexible. Others to look into are SounDrive, wccaraudio.com, and Rockford fosgate. The SHCA that I use are probably the cheapest out of those options, but there's no quality issues, so I would recommend them if cost is a selling point. If not, then the SoundDrive and SMD (wccaraudio.com) RCAs are probably built with the best quality, as they're hand built with each order.

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaker grill molds fit, a little extra room on the outside edges, so I'll probably fill that in when the time comes. Still need to drill mounting holes and glue rings to them. I'm dragging on it.

FE35908C-4F73-4414-AFF2-D0351CC7CFE5_zpsqa9nqmi7.jpg

Installed my Compustar Dash cam. Quality looks pretty good playing it back on it's small screen, not sure how it comes out yet when it gets stretched on a computer screen. Only thing left is to tap into a constant power source instead of the cigarette adapter that comes with it.

E11A4888-BF38-4C6C-9D1B-1F38E46CC8B8_zpsxlkcjrhh.jpg

This was a tight fit. I need to take it back out and take an angle grinder to that mounting bracket for the cross-brace

9C5AF6C2-A30B-400D-91A2-E36C3E2FAC2E_zpsnvxejbwa.jpg

And my upgraded body grounds so my HRK5 from Tony Candela will work properly again.

F5689FC4-7563-476D-BA73-478F4EA5E16A_zpsjyugcqdk.jpg

OP
OP
reedal

reedal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a quick pic of the kicks I started for the L6's.

1BB79399-9B14-45A5-BFA8-C2D2525C59E0_zpsetfazkjn.jpg

118ED1ED-880B-4CC2-A3B8-4E8AF5F30279_zpsykj56ejh.jpg

I think I'm going to take that fleece off, and stretch the Lycra that dolarbilz sent to me.

Once I glass them, I'll leave them there while I figure out the placement of the L8's in the doors. If I don't like the combo of the L6/L8 due to T/A issues, or whatever else, then I take the L6's out and put the stock kicks back in place. Simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent

Latest posts