Alternator whine when powering roku [FIXED]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, got my new kenwood installed. I connected a 1080p basic Roku to it. When I power the Roku with the USB or a cigarette to usb adapter, I get bad feedback through the speakers. I powered it using an external battery with usb connector and the noise was gone.

Not sure how to fix this issue. Would getting a real power inverter resolve it ? Or do I need to run something directly off the battery into the truck?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most aftermarket stereos used to have a noise filter in the power line. I'd guess about any car stereo shop would have one, ether new or a used one laying around. They do work. This would not be a ground loop isolator.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be your cigarette->usb adapter causing the noise. Saw a post not long ago about one causing problems..

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not following on what filter to buy? I use all kinds of plug and play harnesses to get this system to work so I am not sure where a filter would go.

Also I tried two usb chargers, they're both no name brands so idk if buying a higher quality one will work

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not following on what filter to buy? I use all kinds of plug and play harnesses to get this system to work so I am not sure where a filter would go.

Also I tried two usb chargers, they're both no name brands so idk if buying a higher quality one will work
An inline filter that would go onto your 12v wire to the ROKU.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting your solution to your issue. Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

Please add the word "FIXED" to your thread's title, to let others who are experiencing a similar issue know that this thread has an identified solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harpo123