MSD 6a igntion box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
MSD distributors are pretty crappy. The internals of them (inside the cap) rust to hell throwing off a lot of stuff. Pull off your cap and check it out. The magnetic pickup is usually the worst.

Plugs gapped at that shouldn't do anything to make it rough..

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The stock gap for a '96 vehicle in U.S. is 0.060 so if anything your gap is not big enough. Even if you added the ignition box the gap is still to small.

The '95's are .035 so if you add the ignition box then .050 is good.

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock gap for a '96 vehicle in U.S. is 0.060 so if anything your gap is not big enough. Even if you added the ignition box the gap is still to small.

its a 96 with the ac delco platinum plugs. i was thinking of upgrading to e3s. how do those work? any better?

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score

True... so before you go change your plugs and waste money on the E3s. try gapping them first. Never know what will happen.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I personally would not try gapping "pre-gapped don't not alter" platinum's unless recommended by plug maker. If you use devices such as an ignition box on such an engine contact the maker and ask them for the opinion on using there ignition box on your type of engine and what type of plugs to use as well. They are the best source for it.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Ray, since it appears you do not have the proper gap on your plugs I would fix that problem before looking at other issues or mods right now. Incomplete combustion can occurs and fouling can occur if it has not already. and if left alone gap bridging will be next which will stop firing all together.

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would not try gapping "pre-gapped don't not alter" platinum's unless recommended by plug maker. If you use devices such as an ignition box on such an engine contact the maker and ask them for the opinion on using there ignition box on your type of engine and what type of plugs to use as well. They are the best source for it.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Ray, since it appears you do not have the proper gap on your plugs I would fix that problem before looking at other issues or mods right now. Incomplete combustion can occurs and fouling can occur if it has not already. and if left alone gap bridging will be next which will stop firing all together.

THANKS! i gapped them to .50 last night and still idles rough. its a new motor so i might have to get the timing adjusted. but heres a pic of my set up.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/146/msdsetup.jpg/

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
MSD distributors are pretty crappy. The internals of them (inside the cap) rust to hell throwing off a lot of stuff. Pull off your cap and check it out. The magnetic pickup is usually the worst.

Plugs gapped at that shouldn't do anything to make it rough..

............................ ever check it yet?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesley e