MSD 6a igntion box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Right on.

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

give me all the details. I await with much anticipation.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went and picked up the stuff today.
Plugged everything in and it worked.

picture.jpg

Tried to remove the OEM coil from it's bracket. I couldn't. I see that it's pop rivited in. I brought out an angle grinder and tried to grind off the rivits. I could only do one side. I gave up for today. How did you guys remove the old coil?

Everything is MSD now except for that coil. I go back to work next week, so I"ll see if it made any difference or not.

I also took this opportunity to buy THIS block kit!! I'll try to install it tomorrow!

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went and picked up the stuff today.
Plugged everything in and it worked.

picture.jpg

Tried to remove the OEM coil from it's bracket. I couldn't. I see that it's pop rivited in. I brought out an angle grinder and tried to grind off the rivits. I could only do one side. I gave up for today. How did you guys remove the old coil?

Everything is MSD now except for that coil. I go back to work next week, so I"ll see if it made any difference or not.

I also took this opportunity to buy THIS block kit!! I'll try to install it tomorrow!

i used a hammer and a flathead screwdriver...the msd coil came with mounting screws so it was really easy after that.i also changed my ignition module. dont forget your dielectric grease.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used a hammer and a flathead screwdriver...the msd coil came with mounting screws so it was really easy after that.i also changed my ignition module. dont forget your dielectric grease.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that tomorrow morning!

It would be nice to get one of the two coils I bought installed!!!!

OP
OP
A

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
I used a drill and a punch, worked like a charm.. MSD used to give the brackets with the coil a long time ago..

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of installed pics. I didn't get a chance to install the coil today. I'll try to get the shop to install it. :)

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

I can't wait to try it tomorrow in DD usage and see what happens...Holidays are over...sigh...

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SparkPlug Questions Answered!

I have a missfire now and am activily hunting it down.
In that pursuit it was time to upgrade my plugs. My existing ACdelcos were in for about 40k kms(25k M).

But what to buy?
I knew that I was going to stick with AC Delco's. Ok. But what kind? And how does the MSD box affect things?

I did some research and discovered that MSD recommends a gap of 040" and run plugs one degree colder than OEM for our 350's. Ok.

Summit Racing lists some pretty fancy platnium and rapidfire AD Delco's for our trucks. But that's not what I wanted. Googling revealed that the regular AC Delco spark plug number for our trucks is C43T, with the 43 being the temp range.

ACDelco part numbers go higher with hotter plugs, so it stands to reason that C42T would be a colder plug, and sure enough it is.

So to recap, if your running a MSD ignition on a 350 5.7l, it's good to run AC Delco PN C42TS spark plugs gapped to 040".

BTW, those plugs are listed for the 4.3v6. So when I placed my order, I was only sent 6 plugs. I had to call back and order up another 2. When the parts guy asked why, and I said they were going into a 5.7l v8, he laughed and said I was crazy. huh...maybe.......like a fox!

I'm posting this up in the hope that it helps someone.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Autolite copper core 605's set at .050 -.060. They take better advantage of a complete MSD ignition system with cap, rotor, wires, box and coil. But they usually need changing every year or two. Depending on you driving habits you may need to get one colder. Copper cores gap are easily manipulated and one primary reason for using an aftermarket system is so it is strong enough that you can open up your plug gap and expose more spark. Going to .040 is just a downgrade. In fact you will probably foul your plugs. And this is for the L31 engines.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autolite copper core 605's set at .050 -.060. They take better advantage of a complete MSD ignition system with cap, rotor, wires, box and coil. But they usually need changing every year or two. Depending on you driving habits you may need to get one colder. Copper cores gap are easily manipulated and one primary reason for using an aftermarket system is so it is strong enough that you can open up your plug gap and expose more spark. Going to .040 is just a downgrade. In fact you will probably foul your plugs. And this is for the L31 engines.

Thread cleanup: For reference this discussion can be followed HERE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz