Rattling/vibrating glove box door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhilario72

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 2003 Denali XL, and the glove box door vibrates while I am driving and makes a squeeky noise. Only annoying when the radio isn't blasting :) Has anyone had this issue and how did they fix it? I could put some velcro strips on the inside to keep the door closed more tightly, but was wondering if anyone fixed it mechanically? Will replacing hinges or the latch help?

Thanks!

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there anything in your glove box that could be vibrating???...with the recent colder weather here in ChicagoLand, I discovered that a pen I had in the smaller section of the glove box was vibrating...moving it cured most of the noise...

I suspect some of it is just the vinyl and plastic components reacting to engine vibrations and similar inside these older vehicles

Good luck with your Denali XL

Bill

Reaction score
On my 2001, the little spring in the glove box latch that keeps a bit of tension on it broke and caused the latch to rattle. I wasn't sure how to get the door apart to replace the spring so I just broke off a pencil eraser and used some needle nose to stick it onto the broken spring part inside the latch to take up space/act like a rubber isolator.

Don't know if this is your problem or not, but easy to check by lightly pulling the latch and see if there is a bit of play

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can identify where the noise is coming from (assuming that 2 pieces are rubbing together somewhere and creating the noise), put a piece of electrical tape on one of the surfaces that is rubbing.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Same problem on my 05. It is the latch. I got the new latch but it is a bear/PITA to disassemble the cover. I have yet to replace the latch. At this point, I think a new cover is in order. They are available at ebay.

OP
OP
J

jhilario72

Reaction score
So I looked at my glove box latch assembly and found that the plastic housing where the latch bar (maybe called a latch eye) is screwed into (2 screws) is cracked and a piece broke off, so it is loose. Now the glove box closes (hook engages the eye) but since there's a lot of play the glovebox light stays on because there's not enough force to keep the switch pressed, so I had to disconnect the light switch connector. Now I'm looking for a pewter grey glove box assembly (probably the whole thing door and housing/trim)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So I looked at my glove box latch assembly and found that the plastic housing where the latch bar (maybe called a latch eye) is screwed into (2 screws) is cracked and a piece broke off, so it is loose. Now the glove box closes (hook engages the eye) but since there's a lot of play the glovebox light stays on because there's not enough force to keep the switch pressed, so I had to disconnect the light switch connector. Now I'm looking for a pewter grey glove box assembly (probably the whole thing door and housing/trim)

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

My '04 LT doesn't have a glove box light. I feel cheated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog