MSD 6a igntion box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, your right. I forgot to mention that.

I had my neighbor crank the engine while I held the spark tester to ground and looked at the light.

Nothing.

Presumably the tester is working, it was during my previous usage and the truck didn't start when the coil was connected to the dizzy.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
This light, is it like an incandescent bulb. I would think the reaction time of the bulb would be to slow to tell. I just can't see what kind of tester you got there.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I would also wiggle your power terminals for the box on the battery a little bit and try again.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I don't think the box on our vortecs do any good since we use platinum pregaps bu I will add it to my to do list just so I can get a speed limiter on my engine.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

and for the aesthetics.

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
First your coil is wrong get part number msd-8231 it is meant for our trucks the 96-99 setup is picky to say the least. Second buy the kit from msd that makes the box plug and play I cut no wires on mine simply plugged in the pigtail harness and hooked up the box from there took five minutes part number msd-8877 cost is $31.99. Found all this on summit racing online it took longer to install and drill the holes for the mounting of the box!

Last edited:

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This light, is it like an incandescent bulb. I would think the reaction time of the bulb would be to slow to tell. I just can't see what kind of tester you got there...

It's a regular spark tester. You plug it in and it flashes to indicate spark. It's cheap and much safer than holding on/using a screwdriver to the plug/coil to determine wether you have spark or not. The tester itself works great. I used it on my wife's Trailblazer and it lights up.

The tester is ok.

EDIT: I think I got it at Princess Auto...
EDIT II: I did! Here is the LINK.

Last edited:

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First your coil is wrong get part number msd-8231 it is meant for our trucks the 96-99 setup is picky to say the least. Second buy the kit from msd that makes the box plug and play I cut no wires on mine simply plugged in the pigtail harness and hooked up the box from there took five minutes part number msd-8877 cost is $31.99. Found all this on summit racing online it took longer to install and drill the holes for the mounting of the box!

Sorry, but I partially disagree on both counts.

The wiring harness 8877 is for someone who can't follow a wiring diagram. It consists of two oem ends and four blade connectors crimped on nine lengths of wire. The presumption is that if you can read a wiring diagram, then you can make temp splices otherwise, then by all means purchase the harness. Besides, I like doing wiring. It took me longer to wire up my efans the way I wanted than to install the fans themselves!

Now that being said. You may be on to something. I did look up 8877 on summit and made the following observation. I zoomed in on the picture of the IGN coil driver side of the harness. It doesn't look like it follows MSD's instructions. It looks like it plugs into A, C & D instead of A, B & C. Has anyone else noticed that?

As for the truck being picky about the coil, perhaps your right. The 8207 blaster is a hotter/faster coil than the OEM dropin 8231. In any event, you'll note that it's not connected to the truck's distributor just the spark tester which is not picky about coils. It should light up with any type of spark from any coil. I even use it on my kids quads/dirt bikes/sleds to trouble shoot spark issues.

Thanks for the ideas! Keep em comming!

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

What does the led light on box do when you turn on ignition or try starting?

****...there's a LED on the 6A? I didn't notice that! I'll go look in the morning and report back!

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a bit more troubleshooting.
It was the new coil.

It had been purchased last year. Sat around in my shed for awhile. Finally I opened the package yesterday. DOA. I'm not going to bother trying to get warranty.

This morning, I shopped Summit Racing for the drop-in 8231 coil. Then I called a local speed shop. The local guy was less $$$. It will be here tomorrow afternoon. Just because it was cheap, I ordered up the 8877 harness too.

We'll see what happens tomorrow!

Thanks for your help guys. :hands:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts