Problem going backwards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wesley e

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Yukon lx
Transmission seems to be working great goes into reverse. It’ll go into drive but when in reverse the vehicle moves a little and then stops as if something may be going wrong in the rear end. I don’t hear any unusual sounds. It will go forward. I even put it in neutral to try and let it roll back, and it still would stop would not roll backwards
thank you

OP
OP
W

Wesley e

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
4 wheel drive or 2? Sounds like something in the rear end or maybe in the transfer case if it's 4wd
It is two wheel drive
It will roll back about 2 foot and then it’s like something is behind the tires that it runs into

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is two wheel drive
It will roll back about 2 foot and then it’s like something is behind the tires that it runs into
Sounds like gear train failure. Pieces of broken off gear teeth are wedging themselves into the rest of the gears, stopping the mesh and locking it up. Drop the pan and look for kibbles and bits. If observed, put the pan back on with a few bolts and yank it for overhaul.

OP
OP
W

Wesley e

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like gear train failure. Pieces of broken off gear teeth are wedging themselves into the rest of the gears, stopping the mesh and locking it up. Drop the pan and look for kibbles and bits. If observed, put the pan back on with a few bolts and yank it for overhaul.
Ok now it will go forward with no problem just not backward even with the vehicle in neutral

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok now it will go forward with no problem just not backward even with the vehicle in neutral
Ok now drop the pan and see if there's any debris at the bottom to rule in or out the problem being transmission-related.

Alternatively, you can put the vehicle up on jackstands, disconnect the driveshaft, put the trans in neutral and see if you can spin the transmission's output shaft in either direction. If it's transmission, you'll still get that "locked up" condition. If you can spin it in both directions one full turn or so then the problem is likely elsewhere.

ETA: First - remove the driveshaft entirely and spin the rear wheels - make sure your eBrake is off. If the wheels spin freely, nothing locking them up in either direction then spin the transmission's output shaft.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wesley e

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok now drop the pan and see if there's any debris at the bottom to rule in or out the problem being transmission-related.

Alternatively, you can put the vehicle up on jackstands, disconnect the driveshaft, put the trans in neutral and see if you can spin the transmission's output shaft in either direction. If it's transmission, you'll still get that "locked up" condition. If you can spin it in both directions one full turn or so then the problem is likely elsewhere.
Ok thank you guys so much I will keep you posted

OP
OP
W

Wesley e

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok guys thank you for all your help.
So here’s what I found the drivers brake caliber bracket has two bolts holding it on, the bottom one had fell out causing the caliber to rock in drive it was good but in reverse it was getting wedged against the rotor causing it to stop the vehicle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heavychevyvito