Z71 replacement shocks Bilstein 4600's or Monroe Reflex?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jasba21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to me 2006 Z71 with 130k on it. It has what appears to be the original shocks still bolted in place. I am trying to get good ride quality, basically back to "new" feel. After some research, it appears as though the most popular options are Bilstein 4600's, 5100's, and Monroe Reflex. Some have said that the 5100's are a little harsh, so that rules them out for me. I have one of the rare 2WD Z71's, and it will see use a daily driver with occasional towing, so off road performance is a non-issue for me. Anyone feedback would be appreciated.

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the 5100s on my burb and they are not "harsh" at all. very smooth and soak up all the bumps

I took it on some county roads with huge pot holes, washboard, dips and just general ****** roads and the 5100s soaked everything up with ease. I am EXTREMELY happy with the ride and how well they handled definitely recommend them. My poor nnbs sounds like it is gonna roll over and die on those roads but my nbs just laughed at them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jasba21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just put the 5100s on my burb and they are not "harsh" at all. very smooth and soak up all the bumps

Great feedback, thanks. Guess that makes it a tougher decision....Since you have an 08 on normal roads how would you compare the ride? We also have an 11 LT with 20" wheels, and I love the ride quality of that vehicle.

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hands down the 02 is smoother, the 08 rides great, but its stiff, the 02 has a lot more plush ride. IMO its the torsion bar vs the coil over that makes all the difference. for example in my 02 I can take a speed bump faster than in my 08 with out any problems. where as in my nnbs if you arent crawling over the speed bump it sounds like the front end is gonna fall off. hope this helps.

Last edited:

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to me 2006 Z71 with 130k on it. It has what appears to be the original shocks still bolted in place. I am trying to get good ride quality, basically back to "new" feel. After some research, it appears as though the most popular options are Bilstein 4600's, 5100's, and Monroe Reflex. Some have said that the 5100's are a little harsh, so that rules them out for me. I have one of the rare 2WD Z71's, and it will see use a daily driver with occasional towing, so off road performance is a non-issue for me. Anyone feedback would be appreciated.

5100's and 4600's are valved exactly the same AFAIK. 5100's are simply extended to allow for some lift.

Just get the stock height 4600's if your not lifting.

I would definitely say that the overall consensus is that bilstein > than anything Monroe has.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jasba21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
5100's and 4600's are valved exactly the same AFAIK. 5100's are simply extended to allow for some lift.

Just get the stock height 4600's if your not lifting.

I would definitely say that the overall consensus is that bilstein > than anything Monroe has.

Good info, thanks.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Bilstein.

Agreed I have a set on my lifted Jeep. The ride and control is great! Huge improvement over stock.

In comparison I had some KYB Monomax shocks (their high end monotube truck shock) on my old lifted F150. Control was improved on that vehicle, however the ride quality was not as pleasant. Sort of apples to oranges as they are different vehicles, but both are IFS and solid rear "full size" vehicles.

OP
OP
J

Jasba21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everyone, I decided to order the Bilstein 4600's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog