Bilstein 4600 vs 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71dreaming

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this discussion belongs here, in the lifted forum, or the street forum so mods feel free to move where appropriate. I did some forum searching as well but didn't see too many opinions or conclusions.

I know I want Bilstein's I just don't know which set is right for me. 2003 Tahoe Z71, 212k miles on the original red shocks. The truck is 95% used on the street as a daily driver, but also use it 5-6 times a year loaded up for camping and towing a 2500lb pop up trailer. Only use 4x4 a few times a year in the snow and a few times off the beaten path at some local fishing spots.

From what I have read anything will be an improvement over the current setup. I've read good things about the 4600's being great on the road and I've seen people say the 5100's are stiffer, but better off-road.

Just looking for any and all opinions from anyone with experience running either 4600's or 5100's.

Thanks!

ncalvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this discussion belongs here, in the lifted forum, or the street forum so mods feel free to move where appropriate. I did some forum searching as well but didn't see too many opinions or conclusions.

I know I want Bilstein's I just don't know which set is right for me. 2003 Tahoe Z71, 212k miles on the original red shocks. The truck is 95% used on the street as a daily driver, but also use it 5-6 times a year loaded up for camping and towing a 2500lb pop up trailer. Only use 4x4 a few times a year in the snow and a few times off the beaten path at some local fishing spots.

From what I have read anything will be an improvement over the current setup. I've read good things about the 4600's being great on the road and I've seen people say the 5100's are stiffer, but better off-road.

Just looking for any and all opinions from anyone with experience running either 4600's or 5100's.

Thanks!
I have 5100's on my leveled tahoe, replaced at approx 170k from original, they are excellent

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also use the 5100’s, 2” longer than stock, as I’m leveled up front. If lowered, you’d want the 4600’s. Sounds to me like you’d probably prefer the 5100’s.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 5100's up front on my stock RWD w/Nivomats (ZW7 & G65). It never goes off-road but I thought they looked nicer. Had them on for 5 years or so and they're quite stiff. I am considering going to 4600's for road comfort or back to a GM version.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 5100's up front on my stock RWD w/Nivomats (ZW7 & G65). It never goes off-road but I thought they looked nicer. Had them on for 5 years or so and they're quite stiff. I am considering going to 4600's for road comfort or back to a GM version.
Are the Nivomats the ones that can have their dampening rate controlled via a dash button?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the Nivomats the ones that can have their dampening rate controlled via a dash button?
No, it's an auto-leveling shock that requires no operator intervention. They're pretty slick, but also really pricey to replace...mine are still original and still do their job. Put 25 bags of topsoil in the back for my dad and it sank down about an inch above the rear tire. By the time we got back to his house fifteen minutes later, the truck was perfectly level.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it's an auto-leveling shock that requires no operator intervention. They're pretty slick, but also really pricey to replace...mine are still original and still do their job. Put 25 bags of topsoil in the back for my dad and it sank down about an inch above the rear tire. By the time we got back to his house fifteen minutes later, the truck was perfectly level.
Gotcha -- we have those on the Suburban 2500. I'm looking to replace/update the dampening adjustable shocks on my Silverado, but cannot find anything that is updated that doesn't just replace the whole system -- like the 5100s. I am stubborn, though, so I keep looking.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha -- we have those on the Suburban 2500. I'm looking to replace/update the dampening adjustable shocks on my Silverado, but cannot find anything that is updated that doesn't just replace the whole system -- like the 5100s. I am stubborn, though, so I keep looking.
Reading back, my post isn't exactly clear. The Nivomats are only on the back.