Bilstein 4600 vs 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

General Mishap Co

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Question for those who have the Bilstein 4600 or 5100. I have an '03 Yukon Denali(with Z55 Autoride) with 190k, but want to replace the shocks with standard. Bilstein says they have nothing to fit my vehicle. Is there any reason the 4600 or 5100 will not work on a Denali?

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for those who have the Bilstein 4600 or 5100. I have an '03 Yukon Denali(with Z55 Autoride) with 190k, but want to replace the shocks with standard. Bilstein says they have nothing to fit my vehicle. Is there any reason the 4600 or 5100 will not work on a Denali?
Auto ride is level adjustable, via air and a pump. So there are not any Bilstein brand shocks I’m aware of that provide this functionality.

General Mishap Co

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Sam, but I don't need the air functionality(the pump went in the trash 2 years ago). I'm looking for a standard shock to replace the 4 worn out stock shocks. I just need to know if the 4600 and/or 5100 will fit.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sam, but I don't need the air functionality(the pump went in the trash 2 years ago). I'm looking for a standard shock to replace the 4 worn out stock shocks. I just need to know if the 4600 and/or 5100 will fit.
Gotcha. There are a few threads in the forum regarding this topic. My understanding is you can just remove the fuse and the hardware. In order to replace the auto ride shocks, I suspect you can use either the 4600 or 5100 Bilsteins, depending on the direction you’re taking the truck. If you do choose to delete it, however, I believe you’d also need to replace the rear springs, as they depend on the shocks to provide additional support in a factory configuration. Sorry, I don’t have direct experience with this. I did actually purchase some Z71 springs for my Yukon, planning to replace my Nivomats, (different system, but also with softer springs), but in the end, returned them, deciding to stick with the functionality I have with those self-adjusting shocks.

General Mishap Co

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gotcha. There are a few threads in the forum regarding this topic. My understanding is you can just remove the fuse and the hardware. In order to replace the auto ride shocks, I suspect you can use either the 4600 or 5100 Bilsteins, depending on the direction you’re taking the truck. If you do choose to delete it, however, I believe you’d also need to replace the rear springs, as they depend on the shocks to provide additional support in a factory configuration. Sorry, I don’t have direct experience with this. I did actually purchase some Z71 springs for my Yukon, planning to replace my Nivomats, (different system, but also with softer springs), but in the end, returned them, deciding to stick with the functionality I have with those self-adjusting shocks.
Thanks, I'll search further for more detailed info.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my brothers 05 yukon the air pump took a crap for the last time for him. he also changed the rear coil springs. not sure what springs he used, but she sits level and takes a load pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu