Z71 Off Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It certainly does. I have seen videos of Yukon XLs in Moab and talked to guys who took their Tahoes on BlackBear Pass and Imogene Pass in Colorado. Moab is a big place, there are places I wouldn't hesitate to take my Yukon XL and other places I would avoid that the modified Jeeps can easily traverse.

As for running with Jeeps, that certainly depends on the trail. Have seen trails where it was the larger Avalanches and Silverados that had the advantage or were at least equally capable as the Jeeps. Course I'm in Florida where mud, water and sand is what we mostly encounter.

View attachment 389300View attachment 389301
No doubt there are some very small exceptions to the rule and you may be a bit more savvy off-road than some but most are not. I respect your assumptions but I agree to disagree. These were in no way shape or form built for “off-roading” and those that buy them for that or think that they are, are very much confused. Also I have run every trail in Moab to the alpine loop for the last 30 years and running one of those on most trails up there are asking for trouble, if not death. Just because a few imbeciles have done it doesn’t mean it should be encouraged.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt there are some very small exceptions to the rule and you may be a bit more savvy off-road than some but most are not. I respect your assumptions but I agree to disagree. These were in no way shape or form built for “off-roading” and those that buy them for that or think that they are, are very much confused. Also I have run every trail in Moab to the alpine loop for the last 30 years and running one of those on most trails up there are asking for trouble, if not death. Just because a few imbeciles have done it doesn’t mean it should be encouraged.
Not an off-road expert by any means but I do believe that these trucks are very capable off road machines. Very capable of course is subjective. Ever watch any YouTube videos of Chevy Avalanches?

Like I quoted earlier, A man has got to know his limitations.

My daughters have been making good money with their 6.2 Sierras getting stuck vehicles unstuck, mostly RWD pickups and wagons who ventured out onto the trails! I bet they're more off-road savvy now than I ever was. I think they've pulled some jeeps too.

IMG_0187.JPGimage112.jpeg

@Tozan

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not an off-road expert by any means but I do believe that these trucks are very capable off road machines. Very capable of course is subjective. Ever watch any YouTube videos of Chevy Avalanches?

Like I quoted earlier, A man has got to know his limitations.

My daughters have been making good money with their 6.2 Sierras getting stuck vehicles unstuck, mostly RWD pickups and wagons who ventured out onto the trails! I bet they're more off-road savvy now than I ever was. I think they've pulled some jeeps too.

View attachment 389317View attachment 389318

@Tozan
I like the 6.2L sierra trucks! I've wanted to find one but gave up in the midwest. They are all rusted out now, or almost there.

How are they on fuel based on the fact they can run in 2wd? Also, are they AFM motors? I thought the sierra denali never got the AFM through 2013, but I could be wrong.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the 6.2L sierra trucks! I've wanted to find one but gave up in the midwest. They are all rusted out now, or almost there.

How are they on fuel based on the fact they can run in 2wd? Also, are they AFM motors? I thought the sierra denali never got the AFM through 2013, but I could be wrong.

Our newest came out of Oklahoma, I find most of them west of the Mississippi. There are two very clean (from the photos) close to each other in Oregon with mileage in the 80s. There are 9 4x4 6.2 Sierras for sale across America right now on Auto Trader with 85K to 197K miles.

The Oklahoma truck averages 13-15 mpgs per tank running around town, better than my Yukon XL with the 5.3. The lifted truck averages 11-12 running around town.

No AFM, these are L9H motors and the Sierra Denali uses it too.

This one is an NHT with 3.73 gears and a payload capacity of around 1800 pounds:

This is an All-Terrain with 3.42 gears:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our newest came out of Oklahoma, I find most of them west of the Mississippi. There are two very clean (from the photos) close to each other in Oregon with mileage in the 80s. There are 9 4x4 6.2 Sierras for sale across America right now on Auto Trader with 85K to 197K miles.

The Oklahoma truck averages 13-15 mpgs per tank running around town, better than my Yukon XL with the 5.3. The lifted truck averages 11-12 running around town.

No AFM, these are L9H motors and the Sierra Denali uses it too.

This one is an NHT with 3.73 gears and a payload capacity of around 1800 pounds:

This is an All-Terrain with 3.42 gears:
The all terrain one looks really nice, but not 32K nice. I sold my 2018 4x4 sierra with 14k on it for that price 2 years ago. This is completely insane. Also, it had a 5th wheel plate for some reason which could be a NO for me Dogg....not sure if they use salt where it came from in Canada either.

Thanks for the links though! I'll keep the indo squirreled away for future use.

maddocmatt

Reaction score
True story: we were on a multi week camping trip from Colorado, to Wyoming to montana up to glacier and back down. I have a 2021 Escalade esv with max towing (important here). In Wyoming we were going to disperse camp in an area called shadow mountain across from the Tetons. Absolutely stunning. Ended up making a wrong turn and ended up on 4x4 trail. Ended up putting the Escalade into off road, low gearing and raising it up to max height. One of the craziest experiences of my life. We made it two miles up and two miles down when we could turn around and it did freaking great. Would I do it again. No. Not ever. I’ll stick to taking our side by side on stuff like that. But it did really really well!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The all terrain one looks really nice, but not 32K nice. I sold my 2018 4x4 sierra with 14k on it for that price 2 years ago. This is completely insane. Also, it had a 5th wheel plate for some reason which could be a NO for me Dogg....not sure if they use salt where it came from in Canada either.

Thanks for the links though! I'll keep the indo squirreled away for future use.
Cause they were probably pulling a 5th wheel for a while and decided to follow the directions and get a 6.5" bed!

Prices are softening some but everything has gone up due to demand and inflation. They are quite proud of that one and it's probably the reason it's been for sale since August.

One thing I do not understand is the dealerships putting on these grotesque black fender flares, especially the ones that don't fit! To me, they are covering up fender rust.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, hiding something. That's one of the Midwest's best truck additions. Nothing says I'm going to have rust regret after I wash it 3 times....... and the eust creeps over the edge to say gello. LOL

Those were a good, almost unicorn setup though considering what the other options were. And, also the 4.8L - no AFM and still pretty peppy.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of late model Tahoes, Suburbans and Yukons off roading and overloading. Go check out SUBOVERLAND on YouTube. The early 2000's up to 2020's are great off road platforms especially since they have the G80 rear mechanical locker. If I had the extra cash I'd definitely pick up a SUBOVERLAND build!

Can a 2021+ rock crawl? No. Can a 2021+ get off the beaten path, hit some dirt and get you to some austere places? Yes. Hell I've even seen a Toyota Prius overloading!

Somebody mentioned Toyota gas mileage? Toyota gas mileage SUCKS! 4 Runner mileage is probably worse than what I'm getting right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt