Z71 Off Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CharPatton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi: Newbie here.

We're interested in "light" off-roading with a new Tahoe. Z71 looks like the way to go. But tough to get a new one. Thoughts???

If we can't get Z71, OEM skid plate with Premium model?

What other options should we look at?

And how does Tahoe compare to a loaded 4-Runner?

Many thanks!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z-71 is your best option for sure since it's designed for more of that kind of use. I wouldn't waste money on a premium package to go off roading with. You want 18 inch wheels, not bigger to absorb bumps and imperfections, plus being able to air down and not bottom out the rubber to rim.

Based on the problems that seem to be plaguing these new models, I'd probably go for the Toyota. More nimble, better mpg, and really well built. I overland in a 2008 yukon denali. I bought it as such, older and reliable. Don't care if it gets chipped or scratches. But, after seeing how the toyota trucks perform, it makes me think.......

Just my two cents.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are much better platforms to go off-roading in than a tahoe/Yukon. Gravel road? Great. Anything else, no thanks. Buy a Jeep, Bronco, 4 runner, etc. I have a wrangler on 37s. I love my Denali but I wouldn’t take it anywhere off-road. It’s a cruiser with 4wd. It will get you in trouble off-road. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. They’re too wide, too long and are meant to do what they do well. Cruise. My Jeep is a diesel that is a beast off-road, but I don’t want to take it on the highway.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's got to know his limitations!"

These trucks are very capable off road and I find it nice to have all the luxury features and the ability to get back onto the pavement and deliver a comfortable ride back home with good economy. Ever watch youtube videos of the Chevy Avalanche?

The cab in the 4-Runner is not tall, they're not as roomy.

Hold out for what you want.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Dirty Harry once said, "A man's got to know his limitations!"

These trucks are very capable off road and I find it nice to have all the luxury features and the ability to get back onto the pavement and deliver a comfortable ride back home with good economy. Ever watch youtube videos of the Chevy Avalanche?

The cab in the 4-Runner is not tall, they're not as roomy.

Hold out for what you want.
I guess it really depends on one’s definition of “off-road”. Of course the 4 runner is smaller. That’s the point. I don’t like the 4 runner either but please don’t put it in peoples minds that they are going to run off road trails meant for Jeeps and the like with one of these big beasts. I have recovered so many of these trucks just destroyed because it had a Z71 badge on it. Brand new 100k vehicles just because someone said they were so capable. Use the right tools.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep claims the $110,000 Grand Waggoneer is off road capable, would you take an Escalade off road? The rear independent suspension on the newer Tahoe/Yukon doesn't have much ground clearance. If I was going off road I would rather have an AT4 Sierra.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it really depends on one’s definition of “off-road”. Of course the 4 runner is smaller. That’s the point. I don’t like the 4 runner either but please don’t put it in peoples minds that they are going to run off road trails meant for Jeeps and the like with one of these big beasts. I have recovered so many of these trucks just destroyed because it had a Z71 badge on it. Brand new 100k vehicles just because someone said they were so capable. Use the right tools.
It certainly does. I have seen videos of Yukon XLs in Moab and talked to guys who took their Tahoes on BlackBear Pass and Imogene Pass in Colorado. Moab is a big place, there are places I wouldn't hesitate to take my Yukon XL and other places I would avoid that the modified Jeeps can easily traverse.

As for running with Jeeps, that certainly depends on the trail. Have seen trails where it was the larger Avalanches and Silverados that had the advantage or were at least equally capable as the Jeeps. Course I'm in Florida where mud, water and sand is what we mostly encounter.

20200808 - 05.jpg20200922 - Plant Bamboo - 02.jpg

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get rid of my 2-door Wrangler Rubicon in favor of an off-roads Tahoe anytime soon..

.. took the wifey almost 30 years to make 6 miles of trails wide & tall enough for our side-by-sides, and by default my small Wrangler squeezes thru too.

Unfortunately the Wrangler JK model is a rough-riding and bouncy vehicle for my ol' body to endure much of, I'd gladly replace it for the comfort of a Tahoe :thumbsup:

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once crossed a stream in a swamp, put water up onto the windshield and then floored it to reach the other side and climb out onto a 6 foot wide trail with my 7 foot wide Yukon! Had to go quite a ways to find a break in the trees and turn around.