Yukon threw warnings and died - Error Code P0601

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xypher

I Like It Loud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got a 2014 Yukon SLT (5.3 motor) Wednesday and it ran fine untll today. My wife was sitting at her Dad's shop to see why the check engine light was on earlier (O2 sensor apparently) when it just stopped running and threw errors about stabilitrak and a few others. He ran the scanner again it it gave out error P0601 and mentioned the PCM. It would not start until he cleared the codes. She drove it home it and died in the driveway (about 15 after the first time it died). I did a little research and checked on here but found only 1 post with the same error code. Any tips or ideas where to start or what it could ultimately be? Best guess is a faulty ground somewhere, but hoping to avoid replacing the module all together. Anyone had experience with this error? We're hoping to go through it tomorrow and see what we can figure out.
Thanks in advance!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got a 2014 Yukon SLT (5.3 motor) Wednesday and it ran fine untll today. My wife was sitting at her Dad's shop to see why the check engine light was on earlier (O2 sensor apparently) when it just stopped running and threw errors about stabilitrak and a few others. He ran the scanner again it it gave out error P0601 and mentioned the PCM. It would not start until he cleared the codes. She drove it home it and died in the driveway (about 15 after the first time it died). I did a little research and checked on here but found only 1 post with the same error code. Any tips or ideas where to start or what it could ultimately be? Best guess is a faulty ground somewhere, but hoping to avoid replacing the module all together. Anyone had experience with this error? We're hoping to go through it tomorrow and see what we can figure out.
Thanks in advance!

These trucks hate low voltage/poor grounds. I would check all of your power cables and the connections. I would also check all the grounding cables and their connections. How old is the battery? What is the voltmeter reading on the dash?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What Wade said. Check all power and ground connections. All over the place. A failed PCM is a very rare thing.

OP
OP
Xypher

Xypher

I Like It Loud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These trucks hate low voltage/poor grounds. I would check all of your power cables and the connections. I would also check all the grounding cables and their connections. How old is the battery? What is the voltmeter reading on the dash?
Unsure of the batteries age, but the volt gauge is around 14v or a little more. Is there any particular grounds that are the "typical" ones that need to be touched up? Or is it more check them all and good luck?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check them all and good luck. Most of what you are looking for will be under the hood, on the engine and near the firewall but they can be also down on the frame and back a ways. Make sure the connections are clean and tight at the battery and the starter.

Plus, it is not so much as a LOOK thing as it is a FEEL thing. Lay hands on them and wiggle and even disassemble and clean and refasten them correctly. If you are in the rust belt that salt plays hell with these grounds and power connections.

OP
OP
Xypher

Xypher

I Like It Loud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check them all and good luck. Most of what you are looking for will be under the hood, on the engine and near the firewall but they can be also down on the frame and back a ways. Make sure the connections are clean and tight at the battery and the starter.

Plus, it is not so much as a LOOK thing as it is a FEEL thing. Lay hands on them and wiggle and even disassemble and clean and refasten them correctly. If you are in the rust belt that salt plays hell with these grounds and power connections.
Oh yes, I live in Maine so EVERYTHING ends up rusting here. I’ve had plenty of vehicles in the past where the motor outlasted the body.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

That code means the memory in the ECM for the throttle positions has failed. Time for a new ECM. It will have to be programmed to your vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed