Yukon Denali Trailer Package - Can I still tow without it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VMD2022

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think we found a Yukon Denali to purchase but it doesn't come with the trailer package. Can I still tow our travel trailer without this?

Keg0brew

Reaction score
Depends. How much does your travel trailer weigh? Does it have electric brakes? What state(s) will you be towing in?

OP
OP
V

VMD2022

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Depends. How much does your travel trailer weigh? Does it have electric brakes? What state(s) will you be towing in?
The travel trailer weighs 5600 lbs and has electric breaks- towing in California

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be under your max trailer weight. Stay under your payload limit on drivers door jamb sticker AND ADD A TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER to activate your trailer brakes.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How regularly do you plan on towing?

If you are regularly hooking up 5600 lbs to the rig, I would not do it w/ out the Max Tow package.
Worse yet, depends on what part of Cali, but you will have a lot of hills and maybe even mountains, another reason to get the enhanced cooling of the Max Tow package.

Check this thread, as it goes into all the calculations you need to think about:

Last edited:

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeremie's response in the linked thread above is great. Familiarize yourself with everything that goes into the total weight (camper dry weight vs. when you load it with water, propane, etc.). Tow rating barely changes on the gassers (entirely related to the enhanced cooling), but being that cooling capacity is factored into the ratings, if your trailer is truly under the weight rating, you don't need to worry. Familiarize yourself with SAE J2807 that is used to set the trucks tow rating.

OP
OP
V

VMD2022

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We are highly leaning towards the Diesel engine- will that change anything as far as towing? Sorry I should have mentioned that to begin with!