Let’s talk about Max Trailering Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruisaC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently placed an order for a ‘21 SLT with max trailering package to haul my travel trailer and family of 6, as well as be the family daily driver. My dealer recently informed me that GM is not accepting any orders with max trailering package but were able to place my order with everything else I wanted and will give me first right of refusal.

My dilemma is obviously that 1) I want to get in the vehicle ASAP but also 2) the main reason I’m getting a new full size suv in the first place is to haul my whole family and travel trailer safely and comfortably.

to those that know: how important/necessary is the max trailering package and has anyone heard any whispers if/when GM will open up orders with the trailer package?

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does the trailer weigh? The new trucks with out MT appear to be able to tow more than the previous generation with MT

Jeremie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With the 2021 the max trailering package isn't necessary to tow since the axle ratio is 3.23 for all options. It increases the GCWR by 500 lbs (probably related to the extra cooling) for the V8 options and add some other features like trailer tire pressure monitoring. For the diesel doesn't affect rating at all. If you plan to tow regularly it's definitely worth getting (especially with the V8), but if you're forced to get a truck without one you can make it work as the axle ratio was the most important factor that affected previous year models.

HOWEVER!!! With a family of 6 your limitation will be the payload of the vehicle, not the maximum GCWR. In order to tow safely, you need the be below the GVWR ratings of your vehicle, and below the GCWR combined weight. For the travel trailer, 10-15% of the trailer will be on the tongue of the vehicle. We're also a family of 6, and I did careful math before selecting the travel trailer to tow.

Here's an example for you, that will be for a 4x4 XL model
Estimated curb weight: 6,000 lbs.
Maximum GVWR: 7,700 lbs.
Maximum GCWR: 14,000 lbs.
Maximum payload = GVWR - curb weight = 1,700 lbs. (this is stamped on the truck when you get it)

Let's say all 6 of you are 150 lbs each = 900 lbs.
Then add some stuff in the Yukon = 100 lbs.

That leaves 700 lbs for trailer tongue weight.

This will depend on the travel trailer, but a 13% tongue weight is pretty reasonable to assume. Then the maximum trailer weight you could safety tow (loaded with your stuff, but probably with no water) is 700/0.13 = 5,384 lbs. Assuming you have about 1,000 lbs of stuff in the trailer (dishes, clothing, tools, etc.) then the trailer itself dry weight should be about 4,384 lbs.

This gets you exactly to the GVWR. Now to check the GCWR, total weight is 6,000+900+100+5,384=12,384. This is well below the 14,000 lbs rating, so it's fine here.

Make sure you do the math for you situation. The payload weight (passengers + stuff) before adding trailer tongue weight is the biggest determining factor for what you'll be able to tow. If you're unsure, definitely drive through a weight scale and learn how to find out if you've over or under the ratings.

Note that the advertised tow ratings are unrealistic for a normal family situation since they assume no additional payload inside the vehicle other than 2 people:
https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/N...eID=21914&section=trailer_specs&page=&butID=8
https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/N...eID=21942&section=trailer_specs&page=&butID=8

Last edited:

MelloYello95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good reply above ^ I would also like to add, the MTP also adds an enhanced cooling radiator, and a two speed transfer case (H and L 4x4). Those 2 things alone we needed. The camera angles and trailer brake controller are a bonus, but not necessary to tow. Our previous generation would start to run hot with max load up big climbs into the mountains. Flat highway pulls it was fine.

Bounder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm homing in on 250k miles on my 2007 Tahoe. It has the max trailer pkg with 2 speed xfer. Like Mello said, it has the additional cooling, which I think has been helpful in the longevity of my Tahoe: original transmission and engine. I've towed a 23' sea ray multiple times cross country in the summer, so it hasn't had a sheltered life. Whenever I replace this one, the MTP will be non-negotiable

Jeremie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With the diesel engine, the max trailer package does not include any additional cooling. It just adds the two speed 4HI/4LO transfer case, and the advanced trailering package which includes the following:
-hitch view
-trailer brake controller
-advanced trailering system (includes checklist, trailer maintenance reminders, trailer security alerts, trailer mileage, tow/haul reminder, trailer electrical diagnostics and Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor System module)

None of those increase the capacity of the truck so if you get the diesel engine the max trailering package isn't necessary for towing, just adds some convenience factors and the two speed transfer case.

Note that this explains why the max trailer package costs less with the 3.0L dmax (sometimes).

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note that this explains why the max trailer package costs less with the 3.0L dmax.
It depends on the brand.

On the lower trim Cadillacs for example, the Luxury package doesnt have a trailering package. But the Premium Luxury does, and it costs 3300 on the DM or the Gasser.

On the Sport or higher, its just a base 600 upgrade, DM or Gasser.

Premium Luxury
1623707056377.png

Sport and other higher trim..
1623707099069.png

Jeremie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good point. Pricing is all over the map. Probably a combination of what's sensible vs. what people are willing to pay.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the hitch view camera and the integrated controller are the 2 biggest things in daily trailer life. Can’t say I’ve hardly ever used 4 low in any of my past 4wd’s…..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01