Yukon Denali amplifier speaker stereo upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p1zaul

Reaction score
Trying to get some information on doing an upgrade but coming up short.

Is it possible to upgrade the built in Bose amplifier or does it have priority inputs or a digital input.

Is the Bose amplifier decently powerful to keep and just upgrade the speakers.

Anyone know the amp wattage or the ohm of the current speakers? Any recommendations to swap out to?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will get a lot opinions here for audio system upgrades. Some folks have upgraded while still using some of the Bose components, while others have ripped out the entire Bose system and replaced it with an entire aftermarket system. I elected for the latter option, as I am not a great fan of the overall Bose sound, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Other folks will chime in with their opinions, perspectives, and upgrade results.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did an inexpensive upgrade that turned out improving the sound quite a bit. I first added 4 aftermarket 2 ohm speakers that were designed for the stock Bose amp (PowerBass from Crutchfield - they threw in the adapters for free and it was ~ $150 for all). The speakers did take a while to break in, but now they sound better and can take a higher volume than stock without distortion (not a huge difference though). I had an old Boss 1100 amp that I wired up inside the rear storage compartment. I will upgrade this later, but I was testing a cheap amp in the location in case it overheated, but so far it has actually performed well). I used a speaker line out converter to tap the signal post Bose amp in the wire bundle. Finally I added a 150W kicker 12" sub/enclosure combo that I now have between the captains. All in all it sounds pretty good to my old man ears - not gonna win any contests though...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on k2's
I would yank it all out
replace with infinity kappa series, multi channel amp.
depending on the year you could keep the head unit and just use a adapter for the amp
otherwise replacing the headunit with aftermarket or "upgrading" the headunit with a oem one are similar in cost
really all depends on how much money you want to spend
the factory bose isn't going to do much even replacing the speakers, bose filters all the channels too much
just my opinion on the matter

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on k2's
I would yank it all out
replace with infinity kappa series, multi channel amp.
depending on the year you could keep the head unit and just use a adapter for the amp
otherwise replacing the headunit with aftermarket or "upgrading" the headunit with a oem one are similar in cost
really all depends on how much money you want to spend
the factory bose isn't going to do much even replacing the speakers, bose filters all the channels too much
just my opinion on the matter
I agree a multi channel amp with some quality speakers will sound best (did this with my Avalanche), but I wasn't planning on going down that rabbit hole. Did the speakers first, then went ahead and added the amp/sub. Sounds pretty good now...

OP
OP
P

p1zaul

Reaction score
Looks like the only way to change speakers is to change amp, and the only way to change the amp is with an adapter.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to get some information on doing an upgrade but coming up short.

Is it possible to upgrade the built in Bose amplifier or does it have priority inputs or a digital input.

Is the Bose amplifier decently powerful to keep and just upgrade the speakers.

Anyone know the amp wattage or the ohm of the current speakers? Any recommendations to swap out to?
So I found a pretty decent solution. Try replacing your dash tweeters with the kicker ksc270s, and dont do anything else. They run about $65. Report back what you find...

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMHO, the only way to get really good sound is to dump the OEM system and go with a new head unit, amp, and speakers. You won't regret it. I recommend Crutchfield, as they make it really easy with their supplied tailored wiring diagrams. You can even get them to pre-wire the harness connectors for a reasonable fee. Whatever you do BUY IT THIS WEEKEND! You can really save with the sales.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate. How hard is it to change? Is it plug and play?
Plug n play mostly, but you do need to connect the wires. My speakers came with crimp connectors, or you could solder them - I actually used a new type of connector (shrink wrap meets solder) that just needs a lighter or heat gun.

As for the speakers, they arent much - very small and 4 ohm - but they have a heavier magnet plus little inline crossovers you attach to positive side. It fixes where Bose screwed up - like a cheat code. The factory corners get a full range signal but cant do any low range so they sound like shit and dominate the stage with harsh treble. By replacing them, every other speaker gets more power. Its exactly what most people expect in a Denali - much clearer sound with more bass. Not going to win competitions, but your music will sound much better.

If you want to add an amp, speakers and sub, you will be much louder, but you will also need to process the signal to balance the sound, and know what your doing. If you want people to hear you blocks away, this is the way. $1k+ vs $65 and all day vs an hour...