yukon brakes hard and not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

westman995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 97 Yukon 4 door 4wd. I think ever since I got this truck the brake booster was bad, the brakes would be somewhat hard to push, but not impossible to stop. And if you put it in gear and then push the brakes it would always act like if you stomped on them as hard as you could and stop real fast, but that was only at very low speed right after putting it into gear and moving a couple feet only.

Ok so now recently the brakes are way worse. they are so hard to push I cannot even stop the truck hardly at all. I put the truck into neutral and started pushing the brakes way before I needed to stop.

Now I know the truck needs a brake booster. But does it sound like the master cylinder is now out too? Cuz I don't think just the bad brake booster would cause the brakes to be THIS hard. Plus they worked good enough to stop before, just a little hard. Now they wont even stop the truck.

Im thinking master cylinder, but im not sure. So any input would be great.

OP
OP
W

westman995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess ill just replace both booster and the master cylinder when I can

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Dude. Why didn't you replace the booster a long time ago?

Shit's dangerous man.

I would do the booster first, IMO. Then if you need a master, put one from a 2002 tahoe on there with an adapter fitting.

OP
OP
W

westman995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude. Why didn't you replace the booster a long time ago?

Shit's dangerous man.

I would do the booster first, IMO. Then if you need a master, put one from a 2002 tahoe on there with an adapter fitting.

The brakes weren't that bad. I think the booster still partially worked, but maybe not. The truck doesn't get driven that often. This is a second vehicle. Im going to do the booster for sure, but I have a feeling the master cylinder is out, and if its not that, something else has to be wrong.

Why do you recommend one off of an 02?

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

Just looked at the prices, and the 02 master cylinders cost at least twice as much as the ones for 97

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n