Yaw Rate Sensor (05 Yukon Denali)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Has anyone changed out the yaw rate sensor?
Where is this sensor located?
Do you have to do a relearn once the new sensor has been installed?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
do you mean the steering wheel position sensor?, there is no "yaw" sensor, in which case if you do the steering wheel position sensor as long as it is done correctly I believe there is no calibration needed.

So my Yukon has the Service Stability on the DIC, I changed the steering wheel position sensor thinking that would fix it and it did not. This morning I read the following on another forum. This makes me believe the NBS does have a yaw rate sensor.

https://www.amazon.com/CADILLAC-ESCALADE-YUKON-SENSOR-15113713/dp/B01M5INR9A

https://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/threads/traction-activated.34924/

Bulletin No.: 05-05-25-003B
Date: February 22, 2006
TECHNICAL
Subject:
Service Stability Message On, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) C0131, C0196, C0290 and/or C0292 Set (Inspect/Replace Yaw Rate Sensor/Lateral Accelerometer and Reprogram Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM))

Models:
2004-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
2004-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2004-2006 GMC Yukon Models

with Control, Active Brake (RPO JL4)
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-05-25-003A (Section OS - Brakes).
Condition
Some customers may comment on a Service Stability Message on the Drivers Information Center (DIC).
Diagnosis with a scan tool may indicate a DTC C0131, C0196, C0290 and/or C0292 is set.
Cause
There are two possible causes for this issue. Both possible causes are listed below:
^An internal fault within the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer, P/N 15189628, may be the first possible cause.
^The vehicle stability enhancement system (VSES) electronic brake traction control module (EBCM) calibration may be the second possible cause.

DTC Diagnostic Information
^DTC C0131
^DTC C0196
^DTC C0290 or C0292 (w/JL4)

Correction
Follow the procedure below to inspect the part number on the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer.
1.Inspect the part number on the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer.
2.Remove the passenger seat from the vehicle in order to gain access to the sensor. Refer to Seat Replacement - Front Bucket in Seats.
3.Pull the carpet back in order to gain access to the sensor.
Important: ^OLD yaw rate sensors/lateral accelerometers have a part number on the sensor bracket of P/N 15189628.
IMPROVED yaw rate sensors/lateral accelerometers have a part number on the sensor bracket of P/N 15220053.
4.Inspect the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer part number located on the sensor bracket.
^OLD yaw rate sensors/lateral accelerometers have a part number of P/N 15189628.
^IMPROVED yaw rate sensors/lateral accelerometers have a part number of P/N 15220053.
Important: Replace the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer, P/N 15189628, with new sensor, P/N 15220053
5.Remove the nuts retaining the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer to the vehicle.
6.Disconnect the electrical connector from the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer.
7.Remove the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer from the vehicle.
8.Install the new yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer, P/N 15220053, to the vehicle.
Note: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
9.Install the nuts retaining the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer to the vehicle.
Tighten
Tighten the nuts to 10 N.m (89 lb in).
Important: The yaw rate reference reset procedure must be performed when replacing the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer.
10.Perform the YAW rate reference table reset procedure. Refer to Yaw Rate Reference Table Reset Procedure.
11.Connect the electrical connector to the yaw rate sensor/lateral accelerometer.
12.Install the carpet.
13.Install the passenger seat to the vehicle. Refer to Seat Replacement - Front Bucket in Seats.
Important: Failure to reprogram the EBCM may result in a repeat repair.
14.Reprogram the EBCM (referred to as the VSES Module in SPS) with the most current VSES software available through SPS. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS).

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's weird must not be a common failure item at all I have never heard of these trucks having one before but apparently they do I stand corrected, I would check your rpo list in the glove box for RPO JL4 which is what the service bulletin applies to. do you have a tech2 or comparable scanner to verify you are getting the codes listed? the sensor runs about $150 new on rockauto and $50 used on ebay

OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
That's weird must not be a common failure item at all I have never heard of these trucks having one before but apparently they do I stand corrected, I would check your rpo list in the glove box for RPO JL4 which is what the service bulletin applies to. do you have a tech2 or comparable scanner to verify you are getting the codes listed? the sensor runs about $150 new on rockauto and $50 used on ebay

I don't have a tech 2, I'm going to continue looking for answers.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a tech 2, I'm going to continue looking for answers.
good luck, it's really a guessing game without seeing or feeling anything visual, I would check your wheel hubs for any play just to rule that out, if yoou really suspect the yaw sensor you could pull the harness off and clean it, while that is off disconnect the battery and let it all reset and then see if the problem returns

OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
good luck, it's really a guessing game without seeing or feeling anything visual, I would check your wheel hubs for any play just to rule that out, if yoou really suspect the yaw sensor you could pull the harness off and clean it, while that is off disconnect the battery and let it all reset and then see if the problem returns

I'm going to try that, thanks Wes

OP
OP
ivin74

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

I just looked at the build sheet and my Yukon does have RPO JL4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe