XLDenali06's Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was excited to get my lift keys put on today. Unfortunately the torsion bar clamp had different ideas. Got the factory key off just fine. Got the new one in. Almost all the way up to where it needed to be. And the threaded bolt on the clamp started to bend. I don't even think I'm going to be able to get the damn thing off there without cutting it off. Idk. Either way, I've got to get another clamp just to get this one off. Feeling pretty defeated at the moment :-(

20180304_132558.jpg 20180304_142545.jpg

20180304_124252.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I was excited to get my lift keys put on today. Unfortunately the torsion bar clamp had different ideas. Got the factory key off just fine. Got the new one in. Almost all the way up to where it needed to be. And the threaded bolt on the clamp started to bend. I don't even think I'm going to be able to get the damn thing off there without cutting it off. Idk. Either way, I've got to get another clamp just to get this one off. Feeling pretty defeated at the moment :-(

View attachment 194099 View attachment 194100

View attachment 194096
You still might be able to back it out. It'll take some work, but i think it's doable. Where'd you buy that pos from? Locally?

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You still might be able to back it out. It'll take some work, but i think it's doable. Where'd you buy that pos from? Locally?

It was an Amazon cheapie. Had a LOT of good reviews, but I honestly don't see how considering. I should have heeded the negative reviews. Some had the c part of the clamp bend. Some bad the bolt bend. I figured those reviews were idiots who tried using it with the vehicle on her ground. Sigh...live and learn.

Truth be told, I'm worn the F out from trying to get the lift key in there. I'm so dang out of shape. Lol.

Any suggestions on a good clamp to use? Doesn't look like there's too many good options locally, so the truck is just out of commission for a few days. Might as well get something quality shipped to me.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It was an Amazon cheapie. Had a LOT of good reviews, but I honestly don't see how considering. I should have heeded the negative reviews. Some had the c part of the clamp bend. Some bad the bolt bend. I figured those reviews were idiots who tried using it with the vehicle on her ground. Sigh...live and learn.

Truth be told, I'm worn the F out from trying to get the lift key in there. I'm so dang out of shape. Lol.

Any suggestions on a good clamp to use? Doesn't look like there's too many good options locally, so the truck is just out of commission for a few days. Might as well get something quality shipped to me.
Does your local auto parts stores lend/rent tools out? If so, maybe look into that. No friends whk might have one?

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your local auto parts stores lend/rent tools out? If so, maybe look into that. No friends whk might have one?

I'll try the local auto parts stores. Most of our friends are the types that would pay to have anything done. Don't really know anybody else who works on their own vehicles, not even for basic maintenance. The neighbors probably look at us like we're from a different planet when we're out there working on it. Lol.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'll try the local auto parts stores. Most of our friends are the types that would pay to have anything done. Don't really know anybody else who works on their own vehicles, not even for basic maintenance. The neighbors probably look at us like we're from a different planet when we're out there working on it. Lol.
Good luck and keep us updated.

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go, Mama, go! You got this.

Haha, thank you! We got the crappy torsion bar tool backed out finally (thanks to hubby - I just didn't have the strength). After checking AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts, to no avail, we called O'Reilly's and they said they had the tool. Only for us to show up and them say, "oh, we don't have it at this store." Grrrrrrrr!! They called another store that was close to us, they had it, and we headed there and rented it from them. By the time we got back home, daylight was already waning, and not wanting to gave the truck out of commission if we could help it, we just put the original key back in for the time being. So, after all this work and aggravation, we're back to square one. But I guess that's better than square zero, right? Lol. About to head out and get some pizza for a quick and easy family dinner. Back at it tomorrow!

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, before I even get started today, I need some educating from you fine knowledgeable people. Is what I have here a bump stop or a jounce bumper? Is it the same thing as a lca bumper? And will what I ordered (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0181GSGJG) work as a replacement? I thought I had this part figured out, but the more I read the more confused I get. 2006 Yukon XL Denali, btw.

20180305_092811.jpg

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, before I even get started today, I need some educating from you fine knowledgeable people. Is what I have here a bump stop or a jounce bumper? Is it the same thing as a lca bumper? And will what I ordered (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0181GSGJG) work as a replacement? I thought I had this part figured out, but the more I read the more confused I get. 2006 Yukon XL Denali, btw.

View attachment 194152

Also, on the Amazon product page, it says excludes 20" rims/tires, which mine has. Does that actually make a difference, or is this just stupid incorrect Amazon fitment guide stuff?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Low Beam