XLDenali06's Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I don't plan on any really big modifications, I figured I'd start a build thread before I did too many little things to the nali. If nothing else, it'll be neat for me to look back at and see what all I've done.

I started with a bone stock black 2006 Yukon XL Denali , purchased on April 1st, 2017, with just under 200k miles.

Screenshot_2017-04-02-17-07-37-1.png

DVD player didn't work. 3rd brake light didn't work. Missing the handle off the 2nd row passenger side seat. Missing the courtesy light on the front passenger door. Missing the reflector on the rear passenger door. CD changer didn't work. No floor mats aside from a Weathertech mat on the front passenger side, and the oem cargo mat. Other than these small things, it was in really great shape. Found out it needed a driver side wheel hub, too. Possibly a sway bar link. Still, not bad for $5800.

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already had a seat handle and a couple door reflectors from an 05 Suburban Z71 that I'd just totaled after owning for a whopping 2 weeks. Long story. But anyway, I guess technically the first thing I did too the nali was to put that seat handle and rear door reflector on.

After putting those pieces on, the first thing I did was get online and order a black GMC grille emblem (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002L7ECKY/), a bug shield (https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000182ESW/), and vent visors (https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CF8VUE/). They were all delivered a few days later.

In the meantime though, we turned over 200k (2 days after I bought it). I meant to get pics at 199999 & 200k, but 5 kids has made me a scatter brain, so I got one at 199,997 (because I knew I was likely to forget) and 200,004 (because I DID forget, lol).

2017-04-23 09.17.16.png

After the bug shield, vent visors, black gmc emblem, and my Doctor Who front license plate:

2017-04-23 09.20.46.jpg

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The next change was to LED interior lights, which has caused the well-known dim push button lights and vanity lights. But overall I love the white light much better than the stock yellow. And I've ordered some canbus LEDs for the front map lights and second row reading lights. Hopefully that will fix the dim light issue.

2017-04-23 09.41.53.jpg

Somewhere in week one or two is also when I removed the GMC & Yukon XL badges off the back hatch, and added my own personal badges and decals. I guess personalization counts as a mod. Here she is partway through a taillight change, showing my badges and decals. I've added a Gadsden Flag "Don't Tread on Me" emblem since this pic. Oh, and this pic includes my smoked 3rd brake light. The hitch cover says "Zombie Outbreak Response Team"

2017-04-23 09.46.15.jpg

Taillights swap done. Looks so much better.

2017-04-23 09.51.11.jpg

Next up (I think) was a sun visor swap. I like the 2 piece visors from the 00-02 models better than the 1 piece type they went to in 03. Just one more thing GM went cheap on. Driver side swapped and passenger side still stock in this pic:

2017-04-23 09.52.58.jpg

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the GMC center caps with blanks, but no pics that would really show it.

Swapped out the DRL/turn signal housing. Love the smoked look.

2017-04-23 10.02.18.jpg

Pulled the dead CD changer and put in a pocket (pardon the peeling paint, eventually that will be redone):

2017-04-23 09.57.57.jpg

Put LEDs in the DRLs and front turn signals. Installed a new blinker module to prevent hyper blink.

2017-04-23 09.59.06.jpg

Here's a pic of the HID low beams:

2017-04-23 09.59.50.jpg

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Black lights look good.

I think the gmc should have a chrome outline to show the letters , otherwise it just looks like a black rectangle in the middle of that beautiful denali grille.

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most recent update was putting on esky vent caps. That was just yesterday. I also got the luggage rack (together with the vent caps for just $60!) but it was raining when we got home so they're not on yet. Hopefully I'll get that done today.

2017-04-23 10.00.24.jpg

Oh, and I deleted my antenna the other day. Found an 03 Esky locally and got the wiper cowl end piece of it. Made an FM dipole antenna out of 2 pieces of wire, both about 28.5" long, one run from the antenna base and up the outside of the a-pillar, under the rubber trim, svc the other run across the base of the windshield, tucked under the wiper cowl. FM reception didn't really suffer much. Lost AM reception completely.

At some point in all this, I put LEDs in the backup lights. In fact, the only lights in the car that are stock, beside the tiny switch bulbs and dash light bulbs, are the rear turn signals/brake lights, the fog lights, and the high beams. Thinking of putting LEDs in the fog lights. Not sure what to do about the brights. May eventually put LEDs in the back, along with load resistors since the new blinker module can only handle 4 LEDs total (from what I've read).

I have purchased a new OEM DVD player to replace mine. Hopefully I'll get that this week and the kids can start enjoying movies. Just yesterday I ordered a NAV-TV interface so I can add a backup camera and front bumper camera to the OEM navigation screen. Now I just need to decide on the cameras and a switch for the front camera.

I've also bought a Timken hub assembly, which would have already been swapped out, but the bolts are seized and the guy was afraid of breaking them. So I'm going to get some PB Blaster and see if we can't get that swapped out ourselves. A set of Moog sway bar end links are waiting to be swapped in, too. Oh, and a TPMS for the front driver side tire. The current one works intermittently. I'm tired of seeing the message pop up on my DIC. Same dang tire that it was happening with on my Suburban.

I think that's about it for now. I plan to do a complete fluid change soon. I'm sure my husband will be happy when I slow down on buying stuff for the car. Lol!

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black lights look good.

I think the gmc should have a chrome outline to show the letters , otherwise it just looks like a black rectangle in the middle of that beautiful denali grille.

I agree. The complete black look worked for the bowtie on the Z71 Suburban I had right before this one, but the letters get lost in this setup. I'll probably end up swapping that out sooner rather than later ;-)