Worth purchase?... Haynes Repair Manual and/or Factory Service Manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Yukon Denali, 147K. I'm not a mechanic/technician, but I do my own brakes, replace belts, etc... and basic work where I can save money and learn something. I thought it might be nice to own a Hayne's Repair Manual (I had one for a car years ago), but then I noticed on eBay that you can also purchase CDs/download links for a Factory Service Workshop Repair Manual. Not to complicate it, but I also came across the Chilton Repair Manual. I know there is much available through this forum and through online searches, but I am still wondering if it's worth the buy to own any of these resources. Please weigh in! Thank you

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and a good scanner like the Tech2. forums can help possible solutions but the manual has detailed testing and repair instructions. They pay for themselves quickly

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Yukon Denali, 147K. I'm not a mechanic/technician, but I do my own brakes, replace belts, etc... and basic work where I can save money and learn something. I thought it might be nice to own a Hayne's Repair Manual (I had one for a car years ago), but then I noticed on eBay that you can also purchase CDs/download links for a Factory Service Workshop Repair Manual. Not to complicate it, but I also came across the Chilton Repair Manual. I know there is much available through this forum and through online searches, but I am still wondering if it's worth the buy to own any of these resources. Please weigh in! Thank you

Chilton and Hayne's are good for the basics and some simple things. The factory shop manual has everything and combine that with a Tech-2, you can then solve and fix just about anything that comes up. At the very least, you'll know what is wrong and whether or not you want to fix it yourself or pay someone to. Also helps keep you from getting snookered.

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how you like it. My data comes mostly from the 2007 Escalade but covers the others including the Avalanche and pickups where applicable and their updates to 2013 or 2014.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Swath... do you think this listing is what you'd expect when purchasing a service manual? Does it look like the real thing? Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-Yukon-...y-Workshop-Service-Repair-Manual/173787548272

Just bought one also, For that price it seems to good to be true but im hopeful! I am a trump supporter and between the knock off tech2 and this dvd im definitley part of the problem in regard to proprietary copyrights. Oh well it is hard to be loyal when the real deal is out of my price range?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought one also, For that price it seems to good to be true but im hopeful! I am a trump supporter and between the knock off tech2 and this dvd im definitley part of the problem in regard to proprietary copyrights. Oh well it is hard to be loyal when the real deal is out of my price range?

There's that but patents expire after so many years and I had not previously considered that's how the Chicoms got away with selling them here in the states. That, or they are 10% different in some way.

OP
OP
KATfishing

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also purchased it today. The seller sent me a message and asked if I wanted to download it (in lieu of CD I would assume)... I said possibly, but would want CD if any issues with download. Waiting for a response. Regarding rights, this was included at the end of the eBay listing:

This listing does not violate any ebay policy or copyright policy. Because of the GNU/GPL we are allowed to list this manual.
This is either on the public domain, copyright free and/or has resale rights owned by us.
This doesnt infringe the ebay rules/policy, copyrights or trademarks.
The listing including the description has been created by me based on the manuals.
The listing doesnt violate any ebay rules,copyright policy, or trademarks. It is either in the public domain, copyright free, or we have resale rights.
This Maunal doesnt have connection with autodata products. Some of its content is distributed freely under the terms of the GNU Public License and GNU Lesser General Public License.
It can be freeware freely distributing. According to the EU Laws reported in July 2002 N1400/2002 Article 4, car makers must give to independent garages and other interested persons access
to repair information. Selling workshops, Technical Repair, Technical Specification informatio, Catalog for parts and diagnostic data for vehicles doesnt constitute any kind of infringement rights.
It isnt property of software corporations or car making companies.We or our Agents/suppliers hold all copyright and/or IP rights for these products,we therefore have full and legal rights to distribute/sell them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01