Worked on my cracked dash this past weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
papaman

papaman

Reaction score
forgot to mention, but underneath the massive split under the top left portion of where the passenger airbag sits, i did reinforce the area. i cut 0.5" x 4" strips out of some 3" SCH40 PVC pipe i had laying around. wasn't sure what best to use for reinforcement above the instrument cluster, so there's multiple layers of epoxy. i'd apply a bit, let it cure, then apply some more, repeat.

How long had the dash been showing signs of failure prior to your work to repair it?
In other words, do they clearly deteriorate bit by bit over time or do they look fine and then one day they just crack wide open with no advance signs of failure?

mine failed a little over time. parked in the sun one day at work many years ago. i got in to go home, heard a loud pop, and the dash above my instrument cluster cracked. then there were cracks around the airbag, then an entire piece above the dash fell out. it has definitely deteriorated dramatically as time went by.

MajorJakkov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@NathanJax if your truck has the center speaker i would recommend putting some sort of reinforcement around it, maybe a rigid foam like a cut up car washing sponge? mine currently 'bounces' up and down a little when it's hot out, i reeeaaally wish it was supported better. I might try to open it up and get something in there before it cracks again and i stroke out...

to OP, i'm impressed you got it in and out that quick. my truck was at the chevy dealership for 3 days when i got mine replaced o_O

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
I don't own an 07 up. But if I did I would think about putting some reinforcements in and dynamat it to help hold together. And I like the rubber washer idea too. I have read all the posts on this issue and from what I gather the plastic they used is too hard in combination with being too tight and in the sun all day!!!! Not great combination.

OP
OP
papaman

papaman

Reaction score
I'll tell ya I'm impressed, how hard is to remove the passenger airbag? I think I can fix mine without removing the dash, just the airbag.

from a procedural standpoint, it's not too difficult. here's how i would do it if i were in your shoes. follow at your own risk!
- disconnect the negative terminal from your battery and wait a while in case there are capacitors that need to discharge.
- if you are sitting in the driver's seat, begin to pry out the panel with the center air vents. those vents are connected to the button panel to the left of the vents, and the long plastic panel that runs between the center vents and the air vent by the passenger door. careful taking it out, it's not connected very well and feels flimsy.
- on to the passenger air vent: there is a single screw holding it in place on the top left. you can pry the entire vent out after taking out the screw.
- on the youtube video link i posted, go to the 13:38 mark and you will see the four bolts that need to be removed. those are the only ones holding in the airbag. you will want a long extension for your socket, and be careful not to drop the bolts!
- now you can pry the airbag's plastic cover out of the dash starting with the part closest to the passenger seat, and the entire assembly will come out. it will need to come towards the inside of the vehicle at an angle to get it out.
- follow the wires and you'll see a big yellow connector with a red plastic pin. pull the red pin and then disconnect the plug (you can duck while doing this - i know i did).

@NathanJax if your truck has the center speaker i would recommend putting some sort of reinforcement around it, maybe a rigid foam like a cut up car washing sponge? mine currently 'bounces' up and down a little when it's hot out, i reeeaaally wish it was supported better. I might try to open it up and get something in there before it cracks again and i stroke out...

to OP, i'm impressed you got it in and out that quick. my truck was at the chevy dealership for 3 days when i got mine replaced o_O

thanks! if a total noob/beginner like me can do it in a few hours, then the dealerships are screwing everyone over if they take more than half a day.

PWMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work and thanks for the tips. Mine just started cracking in the same spots but wasn't bad enough where I had to take the dash out. I used some of this JB plastic bonder and hope it stops the cracks from spreading.

2017-08-01 21.58.40.jpg 2017-08-02 15.56.20.jpg 2017-08-02 15.56.38.jpg

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took 2 hours this morning, but that includes wiring up a USB outlet. Watched the video before hand for tips, and just a side note I do car audio/video so I'm comfortable doing stuff like this. It'll probably take most people a little longer...

rXGmKJM.jpg

xI9PQaV.jpg

mep80T3.jpg

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got any after pics yet, OP?

The dash on my wife's Tahoe is not as bad as yours seemed to be, but I've been contemplating between trying to fix it or just getting a DashSkin (the one that goes over the whole dash, not just the top). http://dashskin.com/2007-2012-tahoe-suburban-dashboard-cover-w-o-dash-speaker-rear-dash-only.html

Kind of leaning more heavily towards the DashSkin due to the fact that I'm pretty sure me and my fat fingers would be breaking bunch of other stuff while removing the dash for repairs. :banghead:

Decisions, decisions...

OP
OP
papaman

papaman

Reaction score
Got any after pics yet, OP?

The dash on my wife's Tahoe is not as bad as yours seemed to be, but I've been contemplating between trying to fix it or just getting a DashSkin (the one that goes over the whole dash, not just the top). http://dashskin.com/2007-2012-tahoe-suburban-dashboard-cover-w-o-dash-speaker-rear-dash-only.html

Kind of leaning more heavily towards the DashSkin due to the fact that I'm pretty sure me and my fat fingers would be breaking bunch of other stuff while removing the dash for repairs. :banghead:

Decisions, decisions...

here are some after pics:

full

full

full

bottom line is that it still looks like crap, but it doesn't rattle/flap anymore, and it didn't cost $500.

when i feel like spending the money i will definitely buy a new replacement, but until then i'm glad to have fewer rattles when the sub hits. i looked at the dash skin, but if i'm going to put any money into it, i will just pony up the coin for a replacement.

oh - my fat fingers worked just fine. don't let that hold you back. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues