Wiring for Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there's a few threads out there about this. Was sorting through them but couldn't quite find my answer...

Question 1 Suggestions for monitors (I like to keep factory look) My headliner is out. I'm going to run lines to back of Tahoe for the camera. Possibly put in a rear view mirror w/ monitor. My spec for the mirror is:

1. Still have temperature and compass
2. Look similar to factory
3. Backup lines? Can they really work or is it a PITA to show monitor your steering angle?

I'd love it if could do two cameras, one on rear bumper and one on front. But I hate those mirrors with all the extra junk in them like the camera built in.

This one is top of my list although a bit pricey Rear view mirror with backup monitor

Question 2 Reverse Light wire? I'm also curious if there happens to be an easy to access line for the reverse light? I think there's one under driver side foot well. However, is there also one by chance in the A pillar harness? I saw a youtube post on that, but wasn't sure if a 2001 would have that or if that guy was on crack?

Question 3 Camera Mounting Location? Next I think I'll just do a license plate mounted one, and run the cable along with the headliner harness to the D pillar and down... Or I might even mount the camera on the hatch glass. Not sure which is best place to mount camera?

Question 4 Parking lines? some of these monitors include lines to show where your vehicle will track while in reverse? How do they know your steering angle? Do you have to wire a bunch more stuff up for that?

Question 5 Proximity sensor? the factory cameras also have a system that beeps when you get close to something. I think there's sensors in the bumpers for that. Curious if there's an aftermarket for retrofit for that?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to figure out Question 4 - parking lines make use of a gyroscope inside the display or camera, it's not linked to steering.

Anybody have further info on doing this?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t care for the rear view mirror display. There are several systems out there with front and rear cameras and sensors. It all depends on how much you want to spend. The backup light is easy to get to. There are also wireless systems.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t care for the rear view mirror display. There are several systems out there with front and rear cameras and sensors. It all depends on how much you want to spend. The backup light is easy to get to. There are also wireless systems.
I ended up ordering the mirror from above but without parking lines. I got a camera that had the lines in it. was cheaper that way. I would love the backup sensors too. some cameras had them built in but feedback was poor.

not sure if I run wires up for audible only back up sensor or just let it go lol

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that driving my wife’s Toyota with no sensor is a pain since my Yukon has it. I seem to respond faster to the beep. Like backing out of a parking spot right when a car goes by. Good luck.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learned how to backup in drivers ed at school. Dont need no stinking camera and monitor with lines to tell me how to do it. :p
Yep!

In addition to drivers ed, my dad made me show him that I could drive in reverse well enough to go around our block in reverse.

Came in handy one night in high school when I came out of work and discovered my transmission was toast and I only had reverse so I had to drive home across town in reverse. Good thing our small town didn’t have much traffic at 9:30 at night.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep!

In addition to drivers ed, my dad made me show him that I could drive in reverse well enough to go around our block in reverse.

Came in handy one night in high school when I came out of work and discovered my transmission was toast and I only had reverse so I had to drive home across town in reverse. Good thing our small town didn’t have much traffic at 9:30 at night.
Or police obviously.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t worried about the police as I was on a first name basis with all of them in town. My dad was the fire chief of the local volunteer fire department and I lived within 2 blocks of 3 city police officers, a state trooper and the city police chief.
Oh man if that was me I would have spent half my life in jail instead of just short stints lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne