Wiring for Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is SWEEEETTTT... I think the 2001 rear view mirror wiring harness has power for backup lamps. Long story short, I don't need to splice into the harness anywhere else. That said, I'm wondering if I can find the male end of this connector that comes down from the headliner harness.... Perhaps an electronic supply store would sell one? Otherwise maybe I can cut up my mirror? Any ideas?

2010-05-27_041702_pic.gif

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NM I just got a 2mm pitch breakaway header. It was a 4mm pitch header, I can clip every other pin and get what I need. I also bought 4pin automotive waterproof connectors so I can run a line right out to the bumper and connect any camera there. My next problem is,

Anybody know much about the factory ambient temperature sensor? I pulled apart my bumper but cannot find the sensor... The factory service manual shows this... I'm assuming it's a thermister? The new mirror came with a new one but I'd prefer to just use the factory wiring and sensor...

The factory mirror still registers correct ambient temperature, despite I cannot find the temperature sensor. Does it work without a sensor on the bumper?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NM I just got a 2mm pitch breakaway header. It was a 4mm pitch header, I can clip every other pin and get what I need. I also bought 4pin automotive waterproof connectors so I can run a line right out to the bumper and connect any camera there. My next problem is,

Anybody know much about the factory ambient temperature sensor? I pulled apart my bumper but cannot find the sensor... The factory service manual shows this... I'm assuming it's a thermister? The new mirror came with a new one but I'd prefer to just use the factory wiring and sensor...

The factory mirror still registers correct ambient temperature, despite I cannot find the temperature sensor. Does it work without a sensor on the bumper?

It’s on the radiator core support. Pull the grill and it’s right there.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It must be a thermo couple, which is wild. I am suprised they would use that there. I have to modify it and put the thermister in it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It must be a thermo couple, which is wild. I am suprised they would use that there. I have to modify it and put the thermister in it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t modify your external ambient temp sensor- it’s used by a few systems in your truck including the HVAC. Your computers all need to know the external temperature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew