Wiper arm stand up for snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out the other day, and was frustrated, that I could not even lift the passenger wiper blade high enough to even get under the blade with the snow brush to clear it out. I could barely get my hand under to clear the snow and ice under the blade on that side.

I may try grinding that ridge off the pivot, that keeps it from moving any further.
Yeah, basically what i went through yesterday. It was always parked overnight inside so never paid attention, even when changing blades. But, I didn't feel like playing driveway hokey-pokey to get it in the garage. So, i figured i would just stand them up for the night.... wrong. Luckily, the freezing rain missed us last night and i didn't have to go anywhere this morning anyway. It's just the principle of the thing.

Reaction score
I've never used that feature for snow/ice, only when squeegeeing the windshield while pumping gas or when changing blades.

With my luck the spring/pivot mechanism would get filled with snow and ice and I wouldn't be able to put them down to drive, lol

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used that feature for snow/ice, only when squeegeeing the windshield while pumping gas or when changing blades.

With my luck the spring/pivot mechanism would get filled with snow and ice and I wouldn't be able to put them down to drive, lol
Same here. Anytime I’ve been concerned with wipers freezing to the glass, I’ve put a large piece of cardboard over the windshield and held it down with the wipers. Otherwise, I’m left scrapping the windshield anyways while the defroster is running which will loosen the wiper from the glass.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 2000-2002 SUVs and trucks didn’t have a little nub on the wiper arm at the joint that slows the arm to go all the way up, where the 2003-2006 SUVs and trucks did have the little nub. I pulled a set of wiper arms off a 2002 Yukon and painted them black and threw them on my 2006 so that I can stand the wipers up during snowstorms.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when I'm ordering new wiper arms to replace mine (my pass one stopped working yesterday, I think it's the splines in the arm), I can just choose those for a 2001 or 2002 model and it will snap right on?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when I'm ordering new wiper arms to replace mine (my pass one stopped working yesterday, I think it's the splines in the arm), I can just choose those for a 2001 or 2002 model and it will snap right on?
They don’t snap on but yes they’ll fit.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And the new arms don't come splined. The first time you install them the splines will be cut. At least that's the way it is on my '04.