Wiper arm stand up for snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oy... so it's gonna take some force? lol If the rain will stop here, I might be able to get it done.

All I can find are Dorman locally - O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Advance - NAPA has their own NAPA "OEM-equivalent" brand but they're not in stock. Does the brand matter so much on these? I'd like to get these done today if I can, not have to wait on RockAuto to ship me the GM Genuine. And getting from the stealership... well... if it isn't such a big deal, then I'd rather avoid them.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The force is generated by the holddown nut and, IIRC, the hole in the arm might be slightly tapered to help that. Just line it up properly and start it by hand, and slowly tighten the nut.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the shaft is tapered and the new one should go almost all the way down and the nut can get started and then tighten it down. And if you don’t get it perfectly aligned at first you can take it off and move it over a spline or two.

Reaction score
What a pain in the butt these wiper arm setups sound to be. Guess GM didn't want to make them easy to steal

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wipers don't stay up either and I was WTF too! I thought every vehicle in the last 30 years you could stand them up. I've been thinking about posting about this for awhile and would really like to know if I can switch out another wiper arm. Sounds like a 2001 does it, so maybe that will work? Does the 2001 have the washer fluid spray from the wiper arm like 2003?
2007-2014 lift straight up

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some aftermarket wiper arms from doorman that stand up

I bought 3 new arms, both front and the rear. I guess I oughtta go put 'em on. Those same ones, from Dorman.

<edit> I should add, they show the same model numbers for 2002-2006, the 2001 are different.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I did it. Easy stuff. All three brand new, shouldn't have to worry about it for another... oh, 18 years or so.

<edit> And yes, the Dorman arms stand up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts